1973 front bumper repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I tried searching for someone who has posted a beginning to end bumper resto for a 73 front bumper and couldn't find much. The one Mustang&Fords article link is not complete whenever I search for it. I have a couple small tears on the bottom of course, need to know how to repair and glue down. And it is uneven so I need to know what to use as a filler. I understand I need to add a flexible agent to the paint but I am not that far into it yet. I am going to clean up as much rust as I can access on the back of the cover and then paint with a rust inhibitor and encapsulator. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks!

3M, SEM, and Bondo all make repair materials that will work. If the tear are long you need to use a backing material to provide strength. If there is warpage, prudent use of a heat gun and applied pressure will correct it in most cases. Let us know if it works out. Chuck

My '71 bumper has had its shares of scratches and warpage. I would like to find a good straight used one.........

I saw that NOS one on ebay. I've been thinking about it. Mine only has two tears that take off from the end bolts on the bottom on both sides, only about 4-6 inches long. I'm just worried about trying to glue the loose parts down to a rusty surface. I will look into 3M and others. I just don't know what products I'm looking for.

I saw that NOS one on ebay. I've been thinking about it. Mine only has two tears that take off from the end bolts on the bottom on both sides, only about 4-6 inches long. I'm just worried about trying to glue the loose parts down to a rusty surface. I will look into 3M and others. I just don't know what products I'm looking for.
This video may be a bit of over kill but, It will show you what you need. Chuck

EDIT: You will need a special gun and several extra tips, none of which are inexpensive.

Back