1973 Grande' will not start

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coaldigger73

Reaction score
Went three weeks ago for a long drive. Multiple start, stops. Parked in the garage. Last Sunday went to start it for a drive and nothing. No crank or sound. Battery full. All lights work inside and out. Automatic, 351 2V
What next to look at before I have it towed to mechanic? Any other trouble shooting i could do?
Tried starting in neutral, nothing.

If you have a VOM, find a helper, turn the key to start and see if you have voltage at the starter solenoid, on the small terminal on the l/h side (called the S terminal). It should be the same as the battery voltage. If nothing, the problem is between that terminal and the ignition switch. If you do have 12 volts or more, then the problem is either the starter solenoid or the starter. I’m sure others more knowledgeable will chime in for further steps to take.

What Steve said. If no one is around take a wire from the positive of the battery to the small terminal on the starter solenoid (you can do this with the ignition off, no key in the ignition). As soon as you complete the connection the engine should start to turn over. If it doesn't you have a solenoid, starter or battery cable issue. If it does turn over it's an issue from the battery to the ignition switch and back to the solenoid.

Back