1973 header molding needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greghen

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Looking to replace the current header molding on my 1973 Convertible. It is rusted fairly badly. I tried to clean it up but the oxidation doesn't seem to budge. Also open to ideas or products I should try to get it cleaned up rather then replacing it.

Thanks!

Looking to replace the current header molding on my 1973 Convertible. It is rusted fairly badly. I tried to clean it up but the oxidation doesn't seem to budge. Also open to ideas or products I should try to get it cleaned up rather then replacing it.

Thanks!
Depends on how badly rusted, I would first use steel wool starting with the finest and work your way up the grade. If no go with the steel wool, then sand blast. This is what I use to remove any rust and then hit hit with a good quality polish. If sandblast doesn't do the trick, then time to replace and not even think about repairing it. I've never seen header moldings get badly rusted before. Some will take it to the chrome shop and get their opinion. I would suggest you do the same. Good luck!

Thanks I am going to get armed up with some steel wool and see if I can make a dent in it. Checked a few catalogs can't seem to find a 73 header molding, most other years are available but not for a 73. Any thoughts on a source if I end up just replacing it?

Thanks I am going to get armed up with some steel wool and see if I can make a dent in it. Checked a few catalogs can't seem to find a 73 header molding, most other years are available but not for a 73. Any thoughts on a source if I end up just replacing it?
OEM is the best way to go and these parts are very common and easy to get. One of our vendors or members here should have these parts, but if not, then ebay has quite a few up for auction listed under "convertible windshield trim"

Good luck!

FWIW I painted mine satin black along with the end pieces where the top latches.
Hi droptop73,

Your moldings still look chrome in your pics, so guys are we talking about the exterior header chrome molding or interior header panel?

Interior is the one I am working on.

FWIW I painted mine satin black along with the end pieces where the top latches.
Hi droptop73,

Your moldings still look chrome in your pics, so guys are we talking about the exterior header chrome molding or interior header panel?
Yes, correct. I don't think I have a current photo of the inside. I spent alot of time last winter polishing the exterior trim.

Back