1973 Mach 1 Interior Seat Material Oddity?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was built june of 73 also and it has the comfortweave.
If you can..Pull your rear seat pannel and check the numbers for me ;) Be neat to see if you got mustang rear seat pannel..Or a pinto number like mine...Im starting to wonder if alot of late models got pinto rear seat covers...Or maybe just some? Find it a bit odd another late mustang showed up built around the same time with the same pinto rear seat pannel..Which are rarer than mustang pannels to find on ebay..lol
My part # is D42B-656D633
Jay - what day in June of 73 was your car built? I am trying to zero in on the date that the switch from knitted vinyl to Corinthian vinyl took place for the Mach 1's. Also, what color are your seats? So far, the only all vinyl Mach 1 seats I know of are black. Maybe that could be a clue??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can..Pull your rear seat pannel and check the numbers for me ;) Be neat to see if you got mustang rear seat pannel..Or a pinto number like mine...Im starting to wonder if alot of late models got pinto rear seat covers...Or maybe just some? Find it a bit odd another late mustang showed up built around the same time with the same pinto rear seat pannel..Which are rarer than mustang pannels to find on ebay..lol
My part # is D42B-656D633
Jay - what day in June of 73 was your car built? I am trying to zero in on the date that the switch from knitted vinyl to Corinthian vinyl took place for the Mach 1's. Also, what color are your seats? So far, the only all vinyl Mach 1 seats I know of are black. Maybe that could be a clue??
Ya wish my seats where still in..They mite of been just like yours ...Im going to ask the guy who did that to my stang..and see if it had the knitt or vinyl.

My seats are black with the side stripes black also.
I am starting to think we found something even the expert code guys had no clue about...A little hickup in the last of the mustang line...And good thing to figure out before we tell people they have the wrong seats..When they realy mite have the right original seats from the factory...We need to document this well i think..For restoration sake too...For the people who want it original..people who have a late model stang will be told the back seat plates are wrong and the seat covering is wrong..When they mite be right.

I am starting to think we found something even the expert code guys had no clue about...A little hickup in the last of the mustang line...And good thing to figure out before we tell people they have the wrong seats..When they realy mite have the right original seats from the factory...We need to document this well i think..For restoration sake too...For the people who want it original..people who have a late model stang will be told the back seat plates are wrong and the seat covering is wrong..When they mite be right.
once it has been official about the seat martial, you need to make sure MCA knows and agrees to it, if any of you guys try to get your cars Judges they will deduct points because it not what the documents say is should have, even though its what the car came with.

once it has been official about the seat martial, you need to make sure MCA knows and agrees to it, if any of you guys try to get your cars Judges they will deduct points because it not what the documents say is should have, even though its what the car came with.
Yup...I think you are right..We need lots of pics and as much info as we can dig up...My local mustang restorer is or was a MCA judge...Ill pop out there and ask him if he can help.

I'm glad I did not replace these seats with repop material. I have one small tear in the drivers seat but I would rather keep the original material. I kind of like the look!

I have a correction on mine ,the side stripes are grey.Have had that car for thirty years,i guess i always thought it was all black.They are fadded pretty bad,but i found a section between the back and bottom and it is definetly grey.

This is a cool thread and extremely interesting that you have found more than one car with the seat material.

I have another one for you guys...mine is also a late 73 build (mid June). My seats are untouched and original and have a grayish insert in the middle of both the front and rear seats. All the reproduction covers as well as all the other original car seats I have seen have the entire covers in white.

Anyone else have this or know anything about it...

Jeff

My seats...notice center not white. Fronts are identical with center gray.

3142f7d.jpg

Typical seats...notice center white also.

k33rr8.jpg

As of current, TMI is selling repop upholstery with the same "incorrect" smooth vinyl bolstered inserts, just like the seats in question. Not the fake stamped comfortweave.

Not making any comments about it, just an observation.

This is a cool thread and extremely interesting that you have found more than one car with the seat material.

I have another one for you guys...mine is also a late 73 build (mid June). My seats are untouched and original and have a grayish insert in the middle of both the front and rear seats. All the reproduction covers as well as all the other original car seats I have seen have the entire covers in white.

Jeff

3142f7d.jpg

k33rr8.jpg
Jeff the first pic is of original comfortweave - it was always tu-tone / multicolered - not being reproduced

Second pic is of standard vinyl

Repro comfortweave would be all white but have the pattern in the center

Don

As of current, TMI is selling repop upholstery with the same "incorrect" smooth vinyl bolstered inserts, just like the seats in question. Not the fake stamped comfortweave.

TMI and distinctive have both repro comfortweave and standard vinyl covers

I meant that they are selling mach 1 seat covers with the incorrect smooth vinyl. Stay away from distinctive...they are junk in my experience.

Jeff

3142f7d.jpg

k33rr8.jpg
Jeff - I was looking at a Maverick forum and came across this thread:

http://www.maverick.to/mmb/showthread.php?t=69247

They have a picture of a swatches of comfortweave material used on Ford's and Mustang is listed across the bottom. Your color is 1229 in the photo. Interesting thread on comfortweave material from the Maverick/Comet guys.

Don and Steve,

Thanks very much for the info. Wonder why they are not reproducing the correct tu tone white interior and instead make one that's not correct. Sure hate to put something back in the car that is significantly different than what came out.

Jeff

Jeff

3142f7d.jpg

k33rr8.jpg
Jeff the first pic is of original comfortweave - it was always tu-tone / multicolered - not being reproduced

Second pic is of standard vinyl

Repro comfortweave would be all white but have the pattern in the center

Don

TMI and distinctive have both repro comfortweave and standard vinyl covers

Don - The second rear seat photo that Jeff shows is an all vinyl back seat but the pattern is not like the "standard" vinyl (non-Mach 1 sports interior option) seats. That seat looks like my black back seat and I have the Mach 1 "non-comfortweave" sports interior option. The standard vinyl rear seat interior in the Mach 1s looked like this - a completely different pattern:

mhx36t.jpg

Jeff - do you have a photo of the front seats from that car in your second picture? I would guess that they would be the non-comfortweave type as well but in the pattern of the Mach 1 sports interior option.

I meant that they are selling mach 1 seat covers with the incorrect smooth vinyl. Stay away from distinctive...they are junk in my experience.
So if you say TMI is incorrect and Distinctive is junk

Who's do you recommend ?

Steve,

Here is a pic of front but not 100% sure if from the same car...

2s82pea.jpg
Thanks Jeff. Those front seats are the same style that I have - they appear to have Corinthian vinyl inserts instead of comfortweave or Sebring Knit as it is called out on the option sheet. The front seats are consistent with the style and color of the back seats in your earlier photo so I think both photos are of the same vehicle. Is this a car that you could get more info on?? I'll bet it is a late June/early July car. This would be the first color I've seen other than black that has the non comfort weave style Mach 1 sports interior interior.

Since there appears to be several cars out there with this interior "anomaly" we should probably come up with a name for it - maybe Non Comfortweave (NCW) Mach 1 Sports Interior or NCW Interior Decor Group.

Back