1973 Mach 1 Marti

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure its the horizontal rub strip on the rear chrome bumper, it formed part of the deluxe bumper group (which included the rear bumper guards again, but with vertical rub strips). Would have to see the build sheet to see how this car actually came from the factory in this regard.
Yeah that would make sense, this is my rear end.

Attachments

• 1CF44015-930C-4CF2-BF3E-D0A023660491.jpeg
    1CF44015-930C-4CF2-BF3E-D0A023660491.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 0
I appreciate it! Unfortunately 50 years in the Phoenix sun has done a number on the paint, but I’m not worried about the exterior right now. I will definitely consider a/c down the road. I’ll be hanging onto all the factory AC components when they are taken off for the rebuild, but will be going with one of the aftermarket kits should I decide to add it back on.
I get being in the AZ sun. I was stationed at Yuma Proving Ground (Army) back in 75 - 76. At the time I had a 1969 Mach 1 that I had built to run very quickly. But, it had no A/C. It was bad enough to have lived in SoCal with no A/C before my Army days, but that AZ heat was significantly more punishing than the SoCal heat. I decided then that for any future car without factory A/C I would add it immediately. Our 69 Shelby gT500 has factory A/C that works great, and the 2020 GT500 had A/C as a standard feature.

If you decide to reinstall the factory A/C (I was unaware it had A/C originally, thanks for mentioning it) you will no doubt need to get some partws for the older system. Classic Air has a division that works with older original A/C systems. It may be worth giving them a call to see what they can help you acquire. It is possible you decide to replace the oem system with one of their modern A/C kits. I have called Original Air a few times for parts for the 69 Shelby. They were very helpful, and the original system (with some replacement items from Original Air) is running great.

https://www.originalair.com/

Anyway, even without the A/C it is a nice looking car, one you can be proud to own.

I get being in the AZ sun. I was stationed at Yuma Proving Ground (Army) back in 75 - 76. At the time I had a 1969 Mach 1 that I had built to run very quickly. But, it had no A/C. It was bad enough to have lived in SoCal with no A/C before my Army days, but that AZ heat was significantly more punishing than the SoCal heat. I decided then that for any future car without factory A/C I would add it immediately. Our 69 Shelby gT500 has factory A/C that works great, and the 2020 GT500 had A/C as a standard feature.

If you decide to reinstall the factory A/C (I was unaware it had A/C originally, thanks for mentioning it) you will no doubt need to get some partws for the older system. Classic Air has a division that works with older original A/C systems. It may be worth giving them a call to see what they can help you acquire. It is possible you decide to replace the oem system with one of their modern A/C kits. I have called Original Air a few times for parts for the 69 Shelby. They were very helpful, and the original system (with some replacement items from Original Air) is running great.

Anyway, even without the A/C it is a nice looking car, one you can be proud to ownyu

Anyway, even without the A/C it is a nice looking car, one you can be proud to own.
Yuma is definitely toasty!! I was cruising around a 78 F-150, no AC, for the past couple summers before I sold it to buy the Mach. There were some 118 days here in Phoenix, but luckily it’s a 15 minute or so drive home from work so I can suffer through it. In your experience would an aftermarket setup like vintage air/original air be more efficient? Or would my factory one, restored and functioning properly, be more than sufficient? First step regardless is getting into the heater core box. Currently the lines are looped back into the block, the outlets at the firewall are quite rotted. But as far as I can tell everything I need is all still there! Just a little dusty from being under the cover but will be cleaned up/detailed after the motor rebuild!

Attachments

• 6216196D-5B35-4964-804D-FE1D529B8630.jpeg
    6216196D-5B35-4964-804D-FE1D529B8630.jpeg
    952.9 KB · Views: 0
Back