1973 Mustang Mach 1 Fuel Vapor Canister

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jparmenter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Is there a replacement for the Fuel Vapor Canister? I can't seem to find one anywhere. I was thinking about restoring mine but if I can get a new one, I might do that.

Is there a replacement for the Fuel Vapor Canister? I can't seem to find one anywhere. I was thinking about restoring mine but if I can get a new one, I might do that.
If you find one find two, I dont have one either and very limited scrapes to look at.

Try West Coast Cougar. They have one for about $60. It’s a used part so you’d have to spruce it up a bit. Also there is one on Ebay right now for $45. I just restored mine including opening it up and replacing all of the 50 year old charcoal with new. Not a hard project at all.

Try West Coast Cougar. They have one for about $60. It’s a used part so you’d have to spruce it up a bit. Also there is one on Ebay right now for $45. I just restored mine including opening it up and replacing all of the 50 year old charcoal with new. Not a hard project at all.
Thank you so much. Yeah, it didn't look to difficult. This may be one of my winter projects.

The hardest part is getting it opened up. I got replacement charcoal from a fish tank supply store. Here are some photos of mine opened up. I found that the foam on the inside lid had been smashed at the factory making the whole fuel vapor recovery process much less efficient. I was able to straighten that foam piece out again for accurate installation.

Attachments

• IMG_7925.jpeg
    IMG_7925.jpeg
    2 MB
  • IMG_7926.jpeg
    IMG_7926.jpeg
    2.2 MB
  • IMG_7928.jpeg
    IMG_7928.jpeg
    2.7 MB
  • IMG_7929.jpeg
    4.4 MB
Something like the one in this pic?....it's dirty, but has the bracket/clamp with it.

20240921_113501.jpg

The hardest part is getting it opened up. I got replacement charcoal from a fish tank supply store. Here are some photos of mine opened up. I found that the foam on the inside lid had been smashed at the factory making the whole fuel vapor recovery process much less efficient. I was able to straighten that foam piece out again for accurate installation.
May I ask how you got it open?

The top edge of the lid is rolled down over the body of the canister. I used a long thin blade common screw driver and a small hammer to slowly bend the rolled edge up and out of the way one small section at a time. It’s a time consuming process that requires a lot of patience. My goal was not to damage the rim so I could get it back together without having it appear all hacked up.

Back