1973 Special paint Convertible on Ebay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 71 Mach 1 grabber blue and white, a 73 Mach 1 Copper and White with power sunroof and a 73 Convertible all loaded
1973 Special Paint Convertible on Ebay. I never have seen this signal green color. Front seats look to be reupholstered in correct fabric. Wonder if they know of a fabric connection. Also wondering if front bumper should be painted argent like other special paint cars. The ad says they made 277 in this color, but it is actually 277 all colors special paint cars. Maybe less than 10 made? https://www.ebay.com/itm/394383336595
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394383336595
3F03H240976
1671308854195.png

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW - A beautiful car, but I am a green car guy. It definitely doesn't appear the seller is trying to hide anything with the number and multiple angles of the pictures.

Seats look stock and it appears to be nice car if 68,295 miles are true. I noticed the dash "Park" light plastic chrome is sweet which can be a low mile indicator. Good overall detailing and has crisp body seams.

Not impressed with the dented oil pan, painted trans and why is the rear axle so pitted?

Here it is in Hemmings... https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1973-ford-mustang-fenton-mo-2646661

Are you able to see the car in person or send someone to look at it? It is painted on the side as though it has the Decor Group but does not appear to have the chrome strip or grille. People in Australia used to do that sort of paint scheme on Facons to hide rust, A few other things that others, and yourself have mentioned don't appear right also. In my opinion it needs a physical inspection prior to purchase. Good looking car though. Gotta love a #73 vert.

With '73s the urethane bumper is usually painted the body color. But... isn't the rear spoiler mounted backwards?

Are you able to see the car in person or send someone to look at it? It is painted on the side as though it has the Decor Group but does not appear to have the chrome strip or grille. People in Australia used to do that sort of paint scheme on Facons to hide rust, A few other things that others, and yourself have mentioned don't appear right also. In my opinion it needs a physical inspection prior to purchase. Good looking car though. Gotta love a #73 vert.

It's not a Decor Group car, it wasn't available on special paint cars. Last four pics at the very bottom have the invoices, door tag and Marti Report.

With '73s the urethane bumper is usually painted the body color. But... isn't the rear spoiler mounted backwards?

Special paint 73s received an argent silver painted front bumper.

I wonder what the "local promotion" was that they selected this color green.

1671380627477.png

Seats look stock and it appears to be nice car if 68,295 miles are true. I noticed the dash "Park" light plastic chrome is sweet which can be a low mile indicator. Good overall detailing and has crisp body seams.

Not impressed with the dented oil pan, painted trans and why is the rear axle so pitted?

Here it is in Hemmings... https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1973-ford-mustang-fenton-mo-2646661
Seats look stock, but since the chrome accent pieces are missing it usually means reupholstered. Never understood why they would reupholster stock without the accent pieces

The other thing different about these Special Order Color 73s is that the rear bumper fillers were painted argent as well as the front bumper. None of them had the sport mirrors either. They all had the drivers side manual chrome mirror. One thing I noticed about the Deluxe Marti is that it calls for "Special Green paint." I wonder if it says that on the Eminger sheet. To my knowledge, the Eminger just said "Special Paint" and a number which I assume identifies the paint color. I don't know if anyone of us could identify the paint color by that number, but I was told it was impossible to know exactly what color was used unless you could find some of the color on the car. I once owned an incredible Special paint 71 convertible with every available option including Ram Air. I regret selling that car. It was painted what I believed to be "Springtime Yellow" which was a more pale pastel yellow than Grabber Yellow. I actually hated the color. I wanted to paint the car "Mopar Panther Pink" instead, which would have looked great with the black top and black interior.

Currently I own two 1973 Special Order Paint cars, one Black, and one that is a beautiful Raspberry/Fuchsia metallic. It currently is painted a hideous pepto bismol pink. That car was posted here years ago. Luckily both cars are Q code cars. The Fuchsia car is loaded. The guy I bought it from advertised the car as "the only purple Mustang ever made, " but the car is really a reddish metallic. Here are the Emingers and some pics. The black car is the lower optioned car. Another cool thing to note is the difference in price for the paint on the black car and the Fuchsia car, $11.89 vs. $75.96. IMG-2146(1).jpgIMG-4343.jpgIMG-5187.jpgIMG-2586.jpgIMG-5196.jpg

Last edited:
It could be a low mileage, 'high patina' car (lots of pitting underneath, but it was delivered in northern Illinois, so it could have that pitting from salt 50 years ago and still be reasonably solid if garaged) that has had a lot of 'okay' detail work. Possibly some metal replacement that isn't the best work. Many things stand out: front bumper lower edge looks 'loose', rear valance exhaust cutouts look like they were cutout, not factory (aside from an H-code not having dual exhaust), the Marti papers say rim blow but it looks like a regular 'deluxe' wheel (I know Ford made 2 spoke rim blows, but I am unsure if they were ever installed in Mustangs), deluxe bumper group but no rub strip or bumper guards. Hood, mirrors, spoilers, stripes, Magnums and rear honeycomb panel are add-ons. I would say it has had a complete exterior respray. None of that is to say it is a bad car, just not 'correct'. If it was all correct, would it be as appealing? Not my choice for a green though.

What does catch my eye is the aluminum covered tube for the evap emissions is nicely tucked out of the way and the plastic fresh-air intake is still in place!

By the way, that dealer is half an hour from me. If anyone would like me to have a look for them, I could. But only if you are serious...

I'm surprised the dealer did not mention that a 4 barrel carb and intake were added. The intake looks like it has the big intake runners for factory 4V heads, so I bet the 2V heads were swapped out for 4V heads. The car sounds like it has a decent cam too. Those huge Hooker Super Comp headers aren't cheap either. Those look like they are for 4V heads too. I bet the car performs a lot better than stock. Did anyone hear the tires chirp shifting into second gear? I love that shade of green!

1973 Special Paint Convertible on Ebay. I never have seen this signal green color. Front seats look to be reupholstered in correct fabric. Wonder if they know of a fabric connection. Also wondering if front bumper should be painted argent like other special paint cars. The ad says they made 277 in this color, but it is actually 277 all colors special paint cars. Maybe less than 10 made? https://www.ebay.com/itm/394383336595
I'm not a green car person but I think this one is nicely done and actually looks pretty cool.

Maybe it was a Saint Patrick’s Day special in July?
That's funny you mentioned St Patrick's day. In the sixties My dad was the general manager of Jack Stewart Ford in Chicago. Every year he would order twenty special paint mustang convertibles. He ordered them in a Kelly green color that was a 50's ford truck color with white tops and interiors. He would place a couple of them in the Southside Irish parade on Western Ave and he said he would sell all twenty cars within a week of the parade. People would see them in the parade and come to the dealership the next couple days wanting to buy one. They all probably thought they were getting one of the two parade cars, not knowing there were twenty of them. Jack Stewart .jpgHe also had two yellow diamond shape street signs made that said "SLOW Mustangs crossing". He placed them right before the dealership on the street going in both directions. They were there for a few years until the county was going down the street cleaning signs and noticed it wasn't one of theirs and made him take them down. I found a picture of the showroom of the dealership but I couldn't find the picture of the street signs. I had one but can't find it, they looked like legitimate SLOW pedestrian crossing signs.

1973 Special Paint Convertible on Ebay. I never have seen this signal green color. Front seats look to be reupholstered in correct fabric. Wonder if they know of a fabric connection. Also wondering if front bumper should be painted argent like other special paint cars. The ad says they made 277 in this color, but it is actually 277 all colors special paint cars. Maybe less than 10 made? https://www.ebay.com/itm/394383336595View attachment 70872
something different, somehow I like it. :unsure:

Back