73 Convertible Special paint Q code on Ebay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 71 Mach 1 grabber blue and white, a 73 Mach 1 Copper and White with power sunroof and a 73 Convertible all loaded
1705941191026.pngInteresting car on Ebay. Not sure if it is an original black car another color. When I see non original wheels, stripes, black hood and locks, I always expect some more deviations from factory. I would like it better more stock. Stripes never look right with lower chrome. Also, I think it should maybe have an argent front bumper which I'm not a fan of. https://www.ebay.com/itm/335219372925?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true 1705941187697.png 1705941053725.png

Last edited:
Nice looking car. Body color front bumper is correct on '73, no argent.

That stripe kit and hood paint could be ordered as such as well I believe.
Not sure the bumper should be matching with a special paint car as I read somewhere they didn't do special paint colors on urethane. Body color is the only way it seems right though, and one of the reasons I love 71-73's that have matching bumpers. The stripe kit and hood could be ordered (my car still has it factory original in my picture on the left), but as far as I know it would have had lower argent on the side and never had chrome. Also, no engine decal on the hood. None of those are on the Marti report of this car.

Last edited:
If you look at Gateway Classics of Atlanta’s listings (I googled 73 mustang convertible near Atlanta) you’ll see a better selection of photos, listed for $46000 and “SOLD”…I see a lot of defects (minor) in and around the car, not impressed with under the hood items, like missing the air cleaner rubber to hood thingie (can’t remember part name off the top of my head) air cleaner black paint…front seats are probably replacement covers because no comfort weave but rear seats have the comfort weave…drivers side mirror control knob broken off, etc,etc,etc. The current sellers on Ebay bought it from Gateway and now looking to resell it at a loss? Not stirring the pot, just curious as to its history, maybe they found issues and want out? Or am I just being the Virgo that I am…looks like a very well- equipped vehicle as built…what do you think?

As Greg noted, the front bumper on a special paint '73 would be argent, regardless of the actual body color. My understanding is the reason for this was the urethane bumper required special flexible paint to meet quality/durability standards, same reason that 71-72 Mach 1s weren't available with special paint.

The car has a nice option list, too bad the restorer didn't keep it closer to stock.

Link to Gateway video.

Last edited:
Nice optioned car. Agree with others on argent front bumper with special order. My understanding is that bumpers were painted at supplier and supplier only had stock colors to supply. I personally like the body color vs. correct argent color for a driver. Would be a nice car to potentially restore with the low production numbers and desirable drivetrain.

Back