1974 351w good to buy?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exceso

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback Mustang (resto procesS)
2000 Mustang GT (street racer)
Hey guys,

There is a dude selling me a 74 351w engine taken from a Mustang.

I want to do a fast street car, so is this block worth it? its only 200 bucks what they want for it, they also have other engines:

98' 4.6 SVT cobra

2002 4.6 GT

I was planning on buy the 74block and throw edelbrock KIT with and a 100 shot nitrous to use it for track (nitrous) this car will be mostly street car not a every day car.

What do you guys think about the block or the other engines.

Experience (over 40 years "messing" with hot rods) tells me that it is very, very EASY to get distracted when building a car.

You have noted on another thread that you have a 302 in your '71 Fastback and was thinking of going the stroker route possibly with a 347 kit.

Considering you already have what sounds like (base on your video in the other thread) a pretty good block, I would stick with the stroker idea and just build on what you already have.

If the situation was different (bad motor) in the '71, I would "jump on" the 351W but keep in mind that the 351W was not offered in the '74 Mustang so you might not be getting what you think you are getting...just a thought.

BT

the 351 is a deal if it is a standard bore.

you can stroke it to a 408 or 418 if you want and get over 500 hp.

1974 was the only year a v8 was not available. That 351w did not originally come in a 74 mustang.
will ask the guy he sells engines, i think its a mexican 74 since we are in MExico lol.

yup thats the long run right now I want more displacement, want to put the edelborck full kit with cams, intake and heads, later on when i get bored son 7psi supercharger and after i get bored again, forged 408 stroke. ehehhe

Last edited by a moderator:
1974 was the only year a v8 was not available. That 351w did not originally come in a 74 mustang.
will ask the guy he sells engines, i think its a mexican 74 since we are in MExico lol.

yup thats the long run right now I want more displacement, want to put the edelborck full kit with cams, intake and heads, later on when i get bored son 7psi supercharger and after i get bored again, forged 408 stroke. ehehhe
dont buy an edelbrock kit . . buy afr 190 heads for moderate hp or 205 heads for stupid hp.

buy an edelbrock air gap for moderate hp or a vic jr for stupid hp but poor bottom end

buy the cam you want a few good ones are"

comp xfi236hr ground with 112.5 lsa = 450 hp

comp xfi248hr ground with 112.5 lsa = 500 hp

lunati voodoo 292 hydraulic roller. = 525 hp

dont buy an edelbrock kit . . buy afr 190 heads for moderate hp or 205 heads for stupid hp.

buy an edelbrock air gap for moderate hp or a vic jr for stupid hp but poor bottom end

WHAT MODERATE AND WHATS CRAZY LOL I think moderate for street reliable and crazy for show car is it?

Huh, if it was that easy, I'll just buy a set of AFR 205s, a vic jr and the lunati voodoo and go really fast on the street. Done

:p

hahhaa

the only place where you will find a 1974 with is in Mexico but not the 351w :(

2.3 L (140 plgs³) L4

2.8 L (171 plgs³) Cologne V6

4.9 L (302 plgs³) Windsor V8

So now back tu business about 302 mods for engine.

I want to use it on the street tooo without the issue of overheating and stuff like that so u think this is a good combo for fast street car?

afr 190 heads

edelbrock air gap

comp xfi248hr ground with 112.5 lsa is for 1985-95 what about instead the:

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=31-255-5&Category_Code=SBHFTCXE

or

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=801&sb=2

650 holley carburetor

Long tube Headers (do i need xpipe with this car)

3" pipes

How much RWHP u think this puppy have and how much gas will it consume hahahahah, will it be streetable? damn I hate to ask so many questions hahaha.

All this for 302 block? what if i buy the 351w block?

Huh, if it was that easy, I'll just buy a set of AFR 205s, a vic jr and the lunati voodoo and go really fast on the street. Done

:p
well obviously you would want to get good pistons and arp rod bolts or better rods and run bear the maximum compression for the fuels octane level you are running and set the ignition timing curve so it is optimal for the engine and a high voltage ignition system and multi fire box like an msd and properly gapped plugs and 0 deck the block, balance the engine run an ati damper and the the proper gearing etc but yup, thats pretty much the recipe, done it many times.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it hasn't been been bored too much, a Windsor is a great block to build. I build a street only 393w from an early 70's block. I did the hydraulic roller conversion with AFR-185's Trick Flow EFI and a Vortech T-trim. Made over 550rwhp..And, passed smog in California. They can make great power, are durable and can do just about anything you want to do with them..

Back