28 to 31 spline axels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 351C 4V
I currently have a 9" 3.00 open centre section in my 71 Mach1. Yesterday I came across a currie trac-loc center section that I thought I couldn't pass up for the price. Now that I got it home and actually checked it out I see a major problem, it is for 31 spline axels. Is it a big deal to switch the axels or as usual just time and money. Thanks

not a bad job, remove brake drum, remove 4 nuts (through the hole in the axle) and yank it out. A puller is nice, but a piece of heavy chain on a stud with a nut holding it will work also. just lift the chain and snap it down a few times.

You can change the axles without diconnecting the brakes and brake lines. Just remove the 4 bolts to the brake backing plate and tie it out of the way so as not to kink the line. Axels slide right out.

You can also go to a parts store, and get a slide hammer from their "loan a tool" and the axles pop out well. Haven't tried the chain method.

The cheaper method is to have the hat and side gears replaced in the center section. It is about a hundred dollars in parts and allows you to retain your current axles, axle bearings and seals. Otherwise Call Randy's Ring and Pinion and tell them what you are doing and they will generate a parts list for you all the way down to the copper washers on the differential. 31 spline axles and all necessary parts should run about 350 dollars

the 31 spline axles can be cut with a chop saw and an inexpensive metal blade from the hardware store, just measure however many times you need to in order to get it right.

Currie sells full axle kits with bearings for around $500 bucks, Moser is difficult to do business i have heard. Strange also has parts, but i believe they sell the Moser axles?

I thought the 28 spline axle housings were tapered at the brake end because the 28 spline is smaller diameter. That's one way to tell in the car at a glance which it is - 28 or 31. I was always told that you can put a 28 axle in a 31 housing, but not a 31 in a 28 housing. ???

I thought the 28 spline axle housings were tapered at the brake end because the 28 spline is smaller diameter. That's one way to tell in the car at a glance which it is - 28 or 31. I was always told that you can put a 28 axle in a 31 housing, but not a 31 in a 28 housing. ???
No. They are interchangeable.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Thanks for the replies. I was worried as well about the tapered ends but seems as though it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not really running the power to justify the 31 spline so may go with changing the gears to fit the 28s. Probably should have checked it closer but a few drinks and a dark garage got me into this so I'll deal with it now.

Back