302 oil pan removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I probably already know the answer to this, but I thought "maybe".................

I have a 302 with a dent in the oil pan, (don't ask!), and although it's not leaking, I'd like to replace it if I could. Are there any tricks, aside from either removing the engine, or raising it up a couple inches, in removing and replacing it? I only see it when I change the oil, and it really annoys me....... :shootself:

You'll also have to remove the oil pump, when the engine is in the car, so you can get the pan off. Drop the pan down as far as you can then remove the bolts on the oil pump. The oil pump has to drop down far enough so the pump driveshaft pulls out of the distributor. Other than keeping the gasket in place when you put it back together, getting the oil pump back in is the hardest part of the remove/replace. Yes, the engine will need to be raised up, or removed.

You may be able to bang the dent out. If it's in the bottom of the pan the oil pickup tube may be bent, may need replacing.

You need to unbolt the mounts, raise the engine, remove the sway bar frame mounts. As Don noted, you'll need to drop the pump into the pan and then weasel it out from under the car. Not an overly difficult job, but not a simple one either. If the dent isn't causing a problem, I'd leave it.

I have done it by raising the engine a few inches. I placed a section of 1×2 under the pan bolts and raised it with the jack pressing on the wood sections. Raised it enoug to fit 2x4s between the engine and mount. The rest is as Don explained. When putting it back together it is tricky to keep the gasket in place so you can use some gasket adhesive like Gaskanwich or whatever it is spelled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back