347 stroker burning oil and plug fowling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hastyjs

Reaction score
My Car
1965 Mustang 347 stoker 5 sped od 8n in.276 rear
Purchased from blue print engine off of JC pony site.

Started buying a 331 stroker with standard pistons in a 40 oversized block.

Went bad and they sent a replacement.

It gaulded 3 cylinders and fowled plugs.

Then they sent a 347 stroker.

It fowls plugs real black and uses a qt. oil to 150 miles.

Blue print said intake gasket leaking.

Change gaskets 2 time and intake one time.

Same problem then they said rocker arms stud need sealed.

Sealed them and did help on no 1 and 4 and 8 cylinder oil fowling.

But real black plug fowling on no. 4 and 8 cylinders and rest just black fowling.

Blueprint said gas fowling plugs.

Has had 2 Holley duel pumper inline 650 CARBS.

Has had 3 Edelbrock carbs 2 650 and last one 550 thunder 1802.

Also on last thunder was jeted down to as lean as I could get it without missing out on pull.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Also was told by 5 mustang owner the 331 and 347 engine had a oil ring problem after the 65 347 blowed his doors off of his new Mustang.

You'll have to run a compression test or a leakdown test (preferred) to determine if it's rings.

My bet is on intake gasket leaks. The intake manifold is not easy to get on straight and square.

blueprint builds crappy engines.

you can do a wet and dry compression test yourself and if that doesn't yield anyresults the leak down test it best as don suggested.

Welcome.

Is the PCV hookd up correctly?
Thanks for your reply.

Yes as far as I know.

In right valve 302 low profile valve covers with bafflers under cap and hooked to front of carb 3\8 rubber gas line with no oil in line and good suction on hose and new valve.

Engine did come with High top chrome covers,

You'll have to run a compression test or a leakdown test (preferred) to determine if it's rings.

My bet is on intake gasket leaks. The intake manifold is not easy to get on straight and square.
Thanks.

Yes Blue print are bad after 3 bad ones I have learned.

Have run the test on both 2 and 3 engine. All Good test.

But would that test show bad oil rings. Or just good or bad compression rings?

Thanks.

Intake gaskets changed about 3 times on 2 and 3 engine and summit and elden brock intake on third engine with gaskets showing good compression on all cylinders ever time.

On 2 and 3 engine hears the intake rocker arm stud holes were drilled all on the way into intake port.

I sealed all intake stud holes with red lock tite. first intake gasket change.

Last edited by a moderator:
All tests show the compression rings or valves only.

The problem is that you can have perfectly good compression and still have oil burning because there is around a .020" gap in all the rings for the oil to get past.

If it idles fine and you plug your pvc valve and drive it for a while and it does the same thing, yank it apart and have it rebuilt or return it.

The problem on strokers that burn oil is not so much that the pin intersects the oil ring but is because of excessive clearance causing piston rock.

Thanks.

Sounds like a plan.

Back