351 radiator will it cool a 460 in the notheast?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
Any of you guys dealt w/ a 460 where a 351C used to be? I picked up my car @ the end of Aug.It seemed to run acceptable temps on it's mechanical guage.I believe it to be 351 radiator ,also has no shroud ,which I need to find 1 that fits but wondering if anyone has tried this combo before I fit a shroud?Did'nt want to spend time & $ on a shroud if I'm gonna have to upgrade the radiator.:huh:

Any of you guys dealt w/ a 460 where a 351C used to be? I picked up my car @ the end of Aug.It seemed to run acceptable temps on it's mechanical guage.I believe it to be 351 radiator ,also has no shroud ,which I need to find 1 that fits but wondering if anyone has tried this combo before I fit a shroud?Did'nt want to spend time & $ on a shroud if I'm gonna have to upgrade the radiator.:huh:
I wouldn't waste time with a shroud & stock fan..Run electric fans..It's what I have in my 429 stroker..

What did you have to do about the set-up for that ? Are you using the 351 rad. ?

If the radiator dimensions are 26x 17.875x 2.25 (3 core) it should work, with the correct shroud. The 1971 429 and 351CJ/Boss 351 used the same radiator (as did the 72 HO). While the part numbers are different, the core is the same. This assumes the radiator is in good condition and you use the correct shroud. The shroud is available form Don at Ohio Mustang Supply. Chuck

I run an Edelbrock aluminum water pump, stock 3 row radiator, stock 351 fan shroud, and stock fan. The shroud had to be massaged a little on the bottom to get it past the crank pulley and I had to enlarge the hole in the fan to 3/4" to fit the 460 water pump. Never overheats and I run 192 degree tstat because the 180 made it run too cold in the spring and fall.

Thanks for the input guys.I was thinking I might be alright with a shroud.I drove it a little late summer in 80 degrees-it was alright.I thought I had seen several companies listing the same radiator for 351& 429 ,but was'nt sure.

I have a nice shroud if you need one. PM me and I'll make you a fair deal. Even if you run electric fans, if you build them into the shroud they will usually work better.

I upgraded to a aluminum Griffin radiator and I swear that thing could cool a small nuclear reactor.

Radiator is the same

Shroud is different

Have to get the shroud from

fiberglass - crites automotive

plastic - dearborn classics

Radiator is the same

Shroud is different

Have to get the shroud from

fiberglass - crites automotive

plastic - dearborn classics
Thanks guys:)

I upgraded to a aluminum Griffin radiator and I swear that thing could cool a small nuclear reactor.
Thats good to know as I just brought one of these, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-7-871bc-fxx

For my 460 Mach project, Was a little taken back at their price at first, but If it dose the job and lasts a good while, it will be well worth the money, not to have to worry about overheating issues. 40'c is a cool day in summer, up in my part of the world..

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the same one I am using. You will need to find a different lower hose to fit. I can give you a part number for mine, but I doubt it will work for your application. Of course, you may be planning some cool one off way of routing hoses.

I'm in Tennessee and our weather tends to be in the high 80-s to the high 90's most of the driving season. Sister lives in Canada so if my conversion is right that is 30-35 degrees celcius. I've driven on 100+ degree days with the AC running and even in stop and go traffic, it stays cool.

I do consider a high volume pump a necessity with an oversized radiator.

To complement the radiator I got an Edelbrock Victor series ally water pump and a set of these thermo fans are on their way, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16842

I think I will be able to get it to fit without to much hassle...

My 460 isn't over the top, I'm looking for 400ish HP at the back wheels, My engine build/combo should give me around 500hp at the flywheel... With a mountain of torque to go with it.....

Last edited by a moderator:
replacement 3 core heavy duty radiator (heavy duty according to radiator shop), stock pump, 180 stat, crites shroud, LIGHT DUTY FAN CLUTCH, 19 inch 6 blade fan clutch fan.

not a single overheating condition, hell around my area i can't even keep the temperature at 180. even in the summer heat, its hard to keep the motor at 180. it likes to go under with the roads around here. the hottest i've seen it at the track with a FEW hotlapping is 190ish. never hotter.

people will tell you to use a electric fan to lessen the drag on the crank which is true, but you will need a much larger capacity alternator, and by the time you need that much power for when the fan is on, you are using more power to turn that alternator. its not as much as if you were using a standard fan but its still something.

to lesson the cost and still be super benefacial to a straight flex fan, use a FAN CLUTCH.

get a fan clutch from a 78 lincoln 460 and you'll be fine. i feel a difference once i put mine on,

Back