351c thermostat question..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Thanks.. Does anyone else make one?

Thank you. Do they offer a 180' thermostat? Is that something I can get from Kragens, Autozone, Pep Boys?
The Robert Shaw Q referenced is a 180 degree high flow tstat. It is available from Flowkooler for about 20 bucks.

Napa THM 197 is a standard flow 180 degree with the correct "hat" style plunger for a cleveland.

I just purchased the NAPA THM-197 for about $6. It certainly does work much better. My car now runs consistently at around 210'. This seems like a lot. Am I wrong?

Since this car has sat for so long (about 10 years), is there anything (service) I should/can do to the radiator? Is there's something I can do or do I have to have it done by someone?
210 is about 20 degrees to hot. Is the fan shroud in place and the fan blades aligned with the back edge of the shroud (about 1/2 of the blade tips in the shroud). A flush can't hurt. Use the least amount of anti-freeze you realistically need with distilled water. Make sure the fan belt is not slipping.

Chuck

I had a hot running engine and went thru' everything to get it running at max 190-195F

I would start w/ these...because cooling flush/radiator or fan will not help w/o the following done 1st

1) Make sure there are no leaks in the cooling system. Pressure test and raise it up to chk. I had water-pump and heater core leak.

2) Chk if the carb is set correct. IF it is running to LEAN...the engine heats up too. I just had this problem. Only a 1/2 turn to RICH made a difference.

USE VAC to set the carb....highly reco. that.

3) Also check the spark plug...make sure they are of Heat Range 5 (spec) or 4 (if you are in hot location).

4) Correct thermostat...Robert-shaw did the trick for me.

Latest posts

Back