454 build FYI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't reckon it's a factory black car but the k code got me interested. Lots of Cool colours. Dad's GT was calypso green I really liked it

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Dyno tonight. Very first pull went 430 at the tyres so that puts me solidly in 550 580 range I wanted at the fly wheel. Pretty good power curve too. Will update final numbers after some tuning and post up the dyno sheet. So far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
seen a 580 peak but far to fat in the mid range and at part throttle for a street car.Traded off some peak hp for drive ability got a nice power curve and good air fuel ratio. Settled on a 421rwhp tune, so that's a everyday 560hp tune pretty happy with that. Post up the final dyno sheets soon

Luke,

You have all the big boy toys. Sounds like you are going to have some fun with this car. Great job. Still looking for a 454 70 SS chevelle. Every time I find one and call they just sold it.

Did meet a guy in California that is doing a full restore on a LS6 70 SS chevelle that was an early built that has never been tagged for street. I was built before VIN# were assigned and is earliest example found. It was given to a drag strip in California to use as they pleased to show off the LS6 package and never made it on the road.

That one will be worth a pretty penny since they have all the documentation from GM on it not like some of the clones out there.

David

Luke,

You have all the big boy toys. Sounds like you are going to have some fun with this car. Great job. Still looking for a 454 70 SS chevelle. Every time I find one and call they just sold it.

Did meet a guy in California that is doing a full restore on a LS6 70 SS chevelle that was an early built that has never been tagged for street. I was built before VIN# were assigned and is earliest example found. It was given to a drag strip in California to use as they pleased to show off the LS6 package and never made it on the road.

That one will be worth a pretty penny since they have all the documentation from GM on it not like some of the clones out there.

David
Good luck with the search they are cool cars. I have only ever seen 3 here in Australia that I could say with 100% certainty where LS6s 2 chevelles and a el Camino.Would love to see some photos when you get 1 because like I said number 1 on my want list just above a stage 1 GS

That's a nice number at the wheels. Automatics with any kind of stall can really eat the power. This Chevelle went from 626 on an engine dyno to 419-448 at the wheels.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/0808phr-1968-chevy-chevelle/

The editor had a manual Vette that went from 425 engine to 285 wheels.
Thanks for that pretty interesting article . I am working on a conservative 140hp drop from flywheel to rear wheels and just rounding down to the nearest neat numbers hence the tidy figures. The desktop dyno program put my combo at high 630s with my flow figures and comp so did cam quest . I always take about 50hp off what it says for real world tune ups. But that write up has me thinking it might be closer to 600 at the fly than I thought. 421rwhp is still ok in full Street trim. I am happy with that

Well done mate, nothing wrong with those figures for a streeter, gotta be happy with that and pretty much in the area you were looking at. Now it's time to have some fun with it and put a smile on you're dial and enjoy.

Back