460 swap on a 72 Mustang base

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The isolators for the O.E. 1971 Mustang only 429/460 engine mounts (the style that have a bracket that bolts to the engine with two studs, then the isolator and unique 429/460 frame stands) are available from Don @ OMS:

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2559

These isolators are common with 67-70 Mustang/ Cougar FE engine isolators. Sometimes searching for this application not 71 Mustang/ Cougar 429 yeilds better results.
This is the style I used for my 351 to 429 swap back in '86. Just looked at the engine out in the garage and it's got the steel block-to-isolator brackets, and then the same isolator shown in your link.

What is your point? I said you can put a 460 where a 351 was in a 71-73, and use the existing frame brackets and stock insulators. I have done it twice. What exactly is the argument?

The brackets you see in the 71 came with the 351. The brackets in the current 73, came with the 351. Seem to be the same.

As for "off-the-shelf headers", I always expect to need to rebuild them.
Point being, you can use off the shelf headers with the convertible/429 frame mounts. Reworking the headers isn't an easy job. If you have Roy fab up some correct block brackets you can use off the shelf headers. He can even build the engine brackets to work with any of the three styles of frame mounts. Headers have a shorter life on the vehicle than the frame mounts. I'd rather just bolt on a new set when the old ones fail after a few years than rework a set again. I've reworked headers before. I end up with funky transitions that have sub-par flow effects, unlike the mandel bent tubes on the stock headers. I'm a retired mechanical engineer and I try my best to optimize everything. If there's a better way to do things, that's what I'll do.

Back