4r70w swap with ford explore driveshaft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the transmission installed. While I still have potential exhaust clearance issues, the trans is most certainly in place. Interestingly enough, the combination of a Ron Morris AOD/Tremec crossmember for classic Mustang with a '65 Mustang trans mount does the trick. I measured the distance from the output shaft face to the flange face on the pinion to be 52". You guys are saying 51.5", though? What should I tell the shaft builders?

IMG_3344[1].JPG

Crossmember fitment was a breeze with the Ron Morris part. It clears everything perfectly and went in without any fuss. The '65 Mustang trans mount surprised me.

IMG_3343[1].JPG

It's a pretty tight fit, even in a '71 Mustang! This machine used to have a giant C6 mounted aft of the engine, but the 4R70W appears to be a bit larger in girth in some spots. You can see how little clearance there is for the wiring harness.

IMG_3339[1].JPG

I chose the B&M pan because it holds 3 quarts, which is 1 quart more than any other pan available. However, this sucker hangs real low... really, really low. Probably not much of an issue for my usage, but it's certainly the most low hanging piece of equipment in the car. It's a very nice piece however, with countersunk holes for aligning the provided cap screws and washers, a magnetic drain plug with rubberized brass washer, and a reusable gasket.

Looks like 52.0" aluminum shaft being made up... supposed to damp the vibrations better than steel. It better for the price I'm paying!
Yep..A good quality drive shaft is not cheap, but well worth it. Like I said it's one of those things you buy new get the best you can afford. It truly enhances the driving experience. Chasing driveline vibrations sucks. Your gonna be a happy camper. Post up a pic when it's done.

And don't forget to check your pinion angle before installing the shaft.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/

Mesozoic this is exactly why my crossmember is perfect I dare say. It clears your pipes by a country mile...as it is you have to go LOWWW to miss that mount you have installed....see pics on the page 6 or so of the other OD trans options thread.

Mesozoic this is exactly why my crossmember is perfect I dare say. It clears your pipes by a country mile...as it is you have to go LOWWW to miss that mount you have installed....see pics on the page 6 or so of the other OD trans options thread.
I agree..I'm not impressed with that mount..I wasn't going to comment but since you did...Takes up way to much real estate...Even the crites mount I modified cleared my headers with room to spare..Had I known about yours prior I would have bought it..Looks like a nice piece that is well worth the time & effort saved in modifying a stock mount.

Thanks for your kind words sir, that is one of the main reasons why I believe mine has been a success

Go through print off this work sheet

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/app/webroot/img/File/how_to_measure_diagrams/b.html

Thats what you give the shaft builder
Looks like 52.0" aluminum shaft being made up... supposed to damp the vibrations better than steel. It better for the price I'm paying!
OK I finally got the panels on the car and measure the drive shaft according to this diagram. I get 52.5". That's three people with 51.5, 52, and 52.5". On my transmission I'm making the measurement as shown in the pic which is B6 in the diagram. I'm I missing something?

20150621_110724.jpg

20150621_110942.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back