4v 351 to a 460?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
The C-6 on my '73 Mach-1 is leaking from everywhere. So much that I was told they would have to take it completely apart. Not knowing the mileage, I figured it would be wise to completely rebuild it and maybe add a shift kit if I go that route. Now I just found a '71 Lincoln Continental with a rebuilt 460 and a C-6 for $1000.00. Which is less than the tranny rebuild would be. Since I was also considering swapping the 351c for a 460, this might be a great time. Any suggestions?

If I get the Lincoln, is it difficult to change from column shift to floor shift? Or is it just bracketry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok. Is it all bolt on or does the transmission need to be opened up?

Are you gonna put the 460 in too ? :cool:

Well, I would if I bought the Lincoln. I know there was a big block C6 and a small block C6.

The C-6 on my '73 Mach-1 is leaking from everywhere. So much that I was told they would have to take it completely apart. Not knowing the mileage, I figured it would be wise to completely rebuild it and maybe add a shift kit if I go that route. Now I just found a '71 Lincoln Continental with a rebuilt 460 and a C-6 for $1000.00. Which is less than the tranny rebuild would be. Since I was also considering swapping the 351c for a 460, this might be a great time. Any suggestions?

If I get the Lincoln, is it difficult to change from column shift to floor shift? Or is it just bracketry?
Your gonna need 429 swap motor mounts..tranny crossmember...headers or ?

A few other misc. items..Your not gonna just pull that lincoln motor & drop it in..Not only that depending what year the lincoln is that 460 could be a real boat anchor..You could just buy my complete setuphttp://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/pts/3925373991.html for a true drop in..If your looking to do the 429/460 swap..

That would be awesome. But now that I'm not working, I'm on a pretty right budget.

Another thought. Why not just find another c6? They aren't impossible to find and you got all the correct parts to begin with. Some years are interchangeable when you have another one to swap parts with. The other members might have more info on the topic. (A good tranny out of a junk yard up here is maybe $100)

Have you used their transmissions before? The reviews I read weren't all that promising.

How about trying a new filter/pan gasket kit and a new vac modulator...replace the hoses and verify you have the correct dip stick and check the fluid level carefully? A lot cheaper. Also, sometimes a leak on the back of the intake manifold will cause oil to leak down the back and drip from the trans area. Just a couple hings to try before spending money on a full trans !

Back