66 mustang- T5 trans swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
I have a 66 Convertable 289 which has the factory 3 speed and a 270:1 Equa-loc 8" rear. I also have a 87 T5 5 speed with 75k miles sitting in my shed which was for a different project that got scrapped.

Whats all needed to be done in order to do the swap?

I know that id need to upgrade the rear gear to a 3.25-3.73 ratio to work with the different gearing of the t5, Also I see there are some clutch cables in the aftermarket to allow this bolt up. Anything else? maybe some transmission crossmember/mount modifications??? Shifter mods? Anyone know much about this swap? Thanks!

If it's already a manual trans there is no need to go to a cable clutch, only slight modification if any to the stock linkage would be necessary. There are adapter plates to mate the T-5 to the 3 speed. You may need to pick up an aftermarket cross member and have a driveshaft made or shortened. The shifter will come up through the stock hole in the floor with little or no trimming likely.

It is a very doable swap and there have been several webpages give a how to and parts list. I had to shorten my drive shaft. I used a late model T5 bell housing and cable clutch from Mustang Steve. Top notch parts from him. He may even have all the parts you'll need. I put in a 3.50 & T-Lok rear gear.

I have the bellhousing and all, might be cheaper to use it instead of the adapter..

Latest posts

Back