71-72 Mustang on TopGear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who really cares? There are still many, many 71-73s available for those that want to own one.
In the UK they're rare and the car had just been UK registered. The guy that imported it said it was a good solid genuine car bought from an old Owner in California. It was an M code car, 4-speed manual with new interior, torq thrusts, spoilers and tuned engine.

Who really cares? There are still many, many 71-73s available for those that want to own one. It's not like they trashed an authentic Frank Cone GT. Now THAT would be a shame.

Don't get mad at the show or the hosts...they never pretended to be car experts or said they loved the cars. Its all about comedy, entertainment and ratings...which of course leads to profits.

After all its just a car, and not a particularly rare one at that.
Fixed it for you....:D

Well....how do you know it WASN'T a Frank Cone special?

Yeah, like I said...an M-code, 4-speed. Not particularly rare. Although that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to own one like that.

Might cost a bit to get 'em over the water, but there's plenty of 'em to be had here in the USA.

Last edited:
I finished watching the part 1 Top Gear:patagonia special a few moments ago, it was quite enjoyable and it was nice to see the 71 Mach 1 filmed against some interesting vistas. One part that made me giggle was (*beware: minor spoiler ahead*):

VEAKqHm.jpg

Clarkson: "Is the engine...nineteen foot long?"

Hammond: "No, no it's not"

Clarkson: "Why then has it got a nineteen foot bonnet???"

We'll probably have to wait a little bit and watch it on BBC America or buy it when it's released on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarkson: "Is the engine...nineteen foot long?"

Hammond: "No, no it's not"

Clarkson: "Why then has it got a nineteen foot bonnet???"

Austin Vert: Because the car has beautiful styling you Wan**r ! :D

Greg.:)
Presto - we have a new host of Top Gear Australia ;)

-Kurt

I have searched all over. How can we see this in the US?
The Top Gear Patagonia show is available for free legal streaming from BBC I-Player http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer ,however it is geo-blocked to stop people outside the UK from watching it. There is a free Firefox and Chrome add-on available that bypasses the geo-blocking but I will not go into further detail as I don't want to break any 7173 forum rules regarding the promotion of potentially nefarious activities :whistling:

For those interested there's a discussion thread on this episode over at Jalponik http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-patagonia-christmas-special-video-open-thread-1675766362 (click all replies)

For those interested there's a discussion thread on this episode over at Jalponik http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-patagonia-christmas-special-video-open-thread-1675766362 (click all replies)
"Hmm. Jalopnick thread. Wonder what they have to say about it."

Jalopnick post: "Yaddada, yaddada, yaddada; prattle, prattle, prattle; 'we're irreverent, cocky, and we know it;' blah, blah, blah."

"Well, that sounds like the last Jalopnick article I read. I wonder what the comments section has to offer..."

Jalopnick comments section: "Bitch, bitch, bitch; crap, crap crap; 'Top Gear is immature;' nag, nag, nag."

"Well, that sounds like the last Jalopnick comments section I read."

(Gives it some thought)

"Come to think of it, Jalopnick is the automotive equivalent of letting the internet host Top Gear. Same nonsense, just with many, many more idiotic presenters."

rofl

-Kurt

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the link Brett. Just finished watching the first part of the show.I have come away with a bad taste in my mouth, and was not very impressed at all. The sometimes beautiful scenery was the best part of the show for me. The whole production is way too drawn out and became somewhat boring at times.

Basically, it's all about three tv personalities driving through South America, on a mission to progressively destroy three decent cars, and make fun of them in the bargain. The Mustang was singled out and made fun of big time as a fancy looking big piece of cheap American garbage that kept on breaking down all the time. At one stage, a dead cow was placed on it's roof and tied down.

But aren't they just so clever, clever. Being stoned out of the country was just what these smart a's deserved IMO.

Now i know why i lost interest and stopped watching this show a few years ago.

At one stage, a dead cow was placed on it's roof and tied down.
Again? They're rubbing it in to those who complained when they did that in the American special quite a number of years ago, a-la the running Morris Marina piano gag.

They've been short on gags ever since Season 6, though they did produce some good stuff straight into Season 11. Someone started manufacturing gags that were originally pretty funny one-shot gags. Instead of finding more unique gags, they're just rehashing the oldest and the worst of them, bringing the worst of the formula to the surface.

I think the Bugatti Veyron had something to do with the creative corruption of the show...

On the other hand, let's not forget some of the best things they've brought us, both normal and kooky:

• The Geoff Hammerhead Thingamathrust Eagle I-Thing
  • Rocket-powered Mini Cooper sled run
  • Vietnam Special
  • The indestructible Toyota Hilux
  • Mercedes Benz 280SL segment. Sums up the beauty of classic car ownership.
  • XKE vs. Aston DB-5. Sums up the not-so-beautiful and expensive side of classic car ownership.
  • Top Gear's Tribute to the Jaguar E-Type (Season 17, and possibly the best Top Gear segment ever made).
  • "The new VW Scirocco. It's explosive." BOOM. (The rest of the whole segment, on the other hand, is one of TG's biggest piles of rubbish)
  • The presenter's mothers help review three new cars
  • The Cool Wall banter - before it became uncool because the presenters tried so hard to be cool doing it.
  • Sabine Schmitz's Ford Transit run
  • Any time Hammond cheers "Ah-HAH!" in triumph, only for whatever it is he's gloating about to go horribly wrong behind him.
  • And, well, some other stuff...

-Kurt

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the link Brett. Just finished watching the first part of the show.I have come away with a bad taste in my mouth, and was not very impressed at all. The sometimes beautiful scenery was the best part of the show for me. The whole production is way too drawn out and became somewhat boring at times.

Basically, it's all about three tv personalities driving through South America, on a mission to progressively destroy three decent cars, and make fun of them in the bargain. The Mustang was singled out and made fun of big time as a fancy looking big piece of cheap American garbage that kept on breaking down all the time. At one stage, a dead cow was placed on it's roof and tied down.

But aren't they just so clever, clever. Being stoned out of the country was just what these smart a's deserved IMO.

Now i know why i lost interest and stopped watching this show a few years ago.

I didn't take any offense to what they said about the Mustang as Clarkson's par-the-course jibes about it were generally balanced out by Hammond's enthusiastic defense of it ("the essence of V8-ness"). I take it as a backhanded compliment that they chose a 71 fastback for the show as it visually blended in very well with the other two classics.

The show did appear padded out, possibly due to their trip being cut short, and the cow on the roof was pointless seeing as they'd done that one before (maybe they should have used a llama this time around...?)

I have rarely watched Top Gear at all over the years it's been on so I may have been quarantined somewhat from the staleness of the show as perceived by others, so I quite enjoyed it, especially because outside of a few dated movies it's great to see a Mustang like mine featured in a contemporary television production. I'm saving my real angst for the next episode where they intentionally trash the car :mad:

The vehicles were all 'Classics' but we're a little different in ages.

Mustang 1971

Porsche 928 1990

Lotus Esprit 1995

[/i]

I watch episode 2 last night and it was better. The program editors should have edited the show into 1 hours, it would've been much better. The modifications to the cars were pointless and done because that's what Top Gear always does, but for any car lovers it was unnecessary. The Mustang had another problem, but makes it to the end. I don't think the show did the reputation of the Mach 1 any good, but it was good to see it on TV anyway.

I watch episode 2 last night and it was better. The program editors should have edited the show into 1 hours, it would've been much better. The modifications to the cars were pointless and done because that's what Top Gear always does, but for any car lovers it was unnecessary. The Mustang had another problem, but makes it to the end. I don't think the show did the reputation of the Mach 1 any good, but it was good to see it on TV anyway.
I agree, despite what they did to the Mustang part two was really quite interesting to watch compared to the slow pace of part one, especially the tense final 5 minutes.

I note they never explained how Hammond fixed the last Mustang breakage - betcha that team of 30 film crew bring an absolute slew of spare parts with them.

I agree, despite what they did to the Mustang part two was really quite interesting to watch compared to the slow pace of part one, especially the tense final 5 minutes.

I note they never explained how Hammond fixed the last Mustang breakage - betcha that team of 30 film crew bring an absolute slew of spare parts with them.
I thought I heard Hammond say that he hopes the welds hold, so I would assume they welded the tie-rod back together.

I searched for any upcoming running of this show here in the states and it looks like it will air on BBC America on January 12, 2015. I have set my DVR to record. It will be interesting to see it. Not sure about episode 2.

Back