71-73 mustang trivia:

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

See how many can answer these:

1) In early 71' development, the BOSS302 was still planned as a 71' production vehicle. While the BOSS302 was slated for production, so was the car/engine package that eventually became known as the BOSS 351. What was the original name of the BOSS351 going to be before the 71' BOSS302 was cancelled?

2) Ford 's advertising department "fudged" facts a bit when they christened the name "NASA scoops" to the scoops of the new-for-71' Ram-Air hood. What is the actual name of that style of scoop?

3) Customers were offerd a voluntary recall and exchange of the 71' Mach 1 pop-open gas cap to be replaced at no charge with the standard twist-on "horse" gas cap. Why did Ford issue a voluntary recall of the pop-open gas caps?

4) What GM-specific part was factory-installed on some 71 Mustangs?

5) There were several new-for-71 styling features on the 71 Mustangs. What two new exterior features were first debuted on 71 Mustang, and retired by 73, never to be seen again on any Mustang since?

6) What is unique about the trim ring/ hub cap combo available on the BOSS 351 as opposed to the same combo available on every other 71-73 Mustang?

7) Who invented the infamous 8-track tape-player(which was available on 71-73 Mustang), and what other major auto components did his company supply years later to Ford (and other companies).

8) Specifically, why was the famous Mustang Horse redesigned from the 73 design when the 74 Mustang IIs came out, and what was different about it?

9) What Mustang model was planned for 71, but dropped early in pre-production? (not the proposed 71 Shelby/ Mustang or the 71 BOSS 302)

10) What Mustang model was planned for 72', and even had window stickers made up with the model name showing it as available, but was dropped before production began?

Good luck!

Last edited:
1) In early 71' development, the BOSS302 was still planned as a 71' production vehicle. While the BOSS302 was slated for production, so was the car/engine package that eventually became known as the BOSS 351. What was the original name of the BOSS351 going to be before the 71' BOSS302 was cancelled?

Answer: Cobra ?

2) Ford 's advertising department "fudged" facts a bit when they christened the name "NASA scoops" to the scoops of the new-for-71' Ram-Air hood. What is the actual name of that style of scoop?

Answer: NACA scoops/ NACA hood

3) Customers were offerd a voluntary recall and exchange of the 71' Mach 1 pop-open gas cap to be replaced at no charge with the standard twist-on "horse" gas cap. Why did Ford issue a voluntary recall of the pop-open gas caps?

Answer: Exploding Pintos ???

4) What GM-specific part was factory-installed on some 71 Mustangs?

Answer: Rust

5) There were several new-for-71 styling features on the 71 Mustangs. What two new exterior features were first debuted on 71 Mustang, and retired by 73, never to be seen again on any Mustang since?

Answer: Disappearing windshield wipers and ???

6) What is unique about the trim ring/ hub cap combo available on the BOSS 351 as opposed to the same combo available on every other 71-73 Mustang?

Answer: Standard size was 15" rings and dog dish but was a rare option on other cars, like my 71 M 4-speed. Almost all of the ones were 14" on the other cars.

7) Who invented the infamous 8-track tape-player(which was available on 71-73 Mustang), and what other major auto components did his company supply years later to Ford (and other companies).

Answer: Bill Lear and plastics

8) Specifically, why was the famous Mustang Horse redesigned from the 73 design when the 74 Mustang IIs came out, and what was different about it?

Answer: It was less fast looking, more of a gallop instead of a full run. Why? energy crisis demanded a less gas guzzling engine and less powerful engines were put into Mustang IIs; less power means a galloping horse.

9) What Mustang model was planned for 71, but dropped early in production? (not the proposed 71 Shelby/ Mustang or the 71 BOSS 302))

Answer: BOSS 429

10) What Mustang model was planned for 72', and even had window stickers made up with the model name showing it as available, but was dropped before production began?

Answer: No idea

How'd I do?

Only answer I know is to #5, feature introduced in 71 and never seen again on any other models: the answer is: Coolness!

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
May not be the correct answer to #4, but we can thank GM for our Saginaw steering boxes which are far superior to the earlier assisted models.

Ok, here are the answers:

1) 351 HO

2) NACA ( not NASA)

3) The pop-open gas caps could potentiay open easily and spill gas in a rear-end collision. The recall replaced them with the standard screw-on cap. That is why the re-pops have a hidden screw-on cap inside

4) 429 CJs had a GM Quadrajet carb. But the Saginaw steering box makes for another correct answer!

5) The full-length hood ( no exposed cowl or header panel) and fully hidden wipers were GM- inspired and never returned after 73.

6) According to the ordering guides, the 15" 2-piece hub cap/trim ring combo was standard and available only on BOSS 351. However, I think if was later revised to make them a mandatory option on all 4-V cars. But...I could be wrong.

7) Bill Lear ( of Lear Jet fame), whose later company ( Lear-Siegler) designed, built and supplied sport seats to Ford and many other manufacturers.

8) The famed galloping horse was redesigned as a trotting horse to emphasize the economy aspect over performance for 74. The original galloping horse was reistated for the 79 Mustang.

9) BOSS 429 (one of the original reasons for such a cavernous engine compartment).

10) BOSS 351. Since Ford was totally out of racing by then and the BOSS series of Mustang were initially built as an homage to a particular racing series, coupled with the fact the new emission standards for 72 demanded low-compression regular gas engines only it was decided the BOSS 351 name was no longer appropriate. The 351 HO engine then became available in any bodystyle, since homologating a particular bodystyle was no longer a concern.

Good ones Kit!

I need to drill down on the 15 inch steel wheels (non Magnum 500's). But I do know all 4v cars did not come with them. Some were ordered with 15 inch tires "F60X15 Belted Raised White Letter Tires" and then if no Magnums were ordered they were equipped with the steel 15 inch wheels, rings and caps.

Dang I forgot about the 429 CJ's Quadrajet! And the Saginaw variable ratio PS boxes were mounted upside down as compared to how they were mounted on the Camaros!

Hmmmm.

So I guess from our perspective the Camaros boxes were upside down (Sorry Scott LOL) and the Mustangs were mounted just right! LOL

Ray

Pertaining to the steering boxes, I hsd mine rebuilt by "Redhead Gears" to match the ratio in my 79 Z-28...one of the most awesome handling and steering cars I have ever owned ( I have had a lot!).

That single change dramatically changed the entire personality of the car for the better. I highly recommend it. The steering is much, much tighter and lightning-quick.

Back