• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71 Boss 351, One Owner, to be sold on Mecum Auto Auction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
5 grand! :whistling:
That will pay the buyers premium! :p
Bet it won't cover the buyers premium, that is one very nice Boss, collectors with large bank accounts will be fighting each other over it...might set a record for a 71 Boss, the timing is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the car is definitely nice - it appears to me that it is over-restored.

Boss 351's did not have a "Caution Fan" sticker on the fan shroud and the valve covers did not come with

anything other than the Emission decal.

These small details are what help the value. It shows the owners/restorers have done some homework...

Ray

The car is nice for sure but I'm wondering what work was done to the body?

If you look at the side view picture of the right side the bottom of the right door is completely out of alignment to the rocker & right fender..When you get into big numbers stuff like that does make a difference !

The car is nice for sure but I'm wondering what work was done to the body?

If you look at the side view picture of the right side the bottom of the right door is completely out of alignment to the rocker & right fender..When you get into big numbers stuff like that does make a difference !
Good point Q, but how many of these Mustangs came from the factory in perfect alignment. The trunk alignment on my 73 convertible was always off as I noticed it at the dealership at the time when my girlfriend bought the car brand new. I still notice trunk misalignment in many photo's of what appear to be original cars.

I've also noticed over the years that the 71/73's with the exterior Decor option usually have misaligned moldings between the front fender and doors, as did mine.

Anyway, this could have been a factory issue, but who knows. The listing does not say it was restored, but 95% original body panels.

Anyway, I agree with you if it was restored, they should have fixed the alignment.

It'll be interesting to see what it brings but it's a feature vehicle at the right auction and the 71 Boss is currently a very sought after collector's car, the 71-73 fever is catching out there. Hard to tell just how cherry it is from the photos but it apprently has the pedigree that a high roller would want to pay out the big bucks.

You would think you would fix the shift T-handle in the restoration. Still a nice ride.
Yes agreed. Crazy to see how many owners state the cars have been restored with multiple things changed. I see the replacement Grant Mustang steering wheels as the most common.

Shouldn't this have a 3 spoke steering wheel?
I believe the Rim-Blow wheel was a seperate line item as listed on the factory invoice/window sticker. There were three steering wheels available on the 71-3 cars; the base was the pinto-looking wheel with the large center horn button, the Deluxe was the horizontal pad with the center emblem - and then the Rim Blow.

Ray

Does anyone else suspect it came with the green standard interior or am I just skeptical? The Marti report would confirm it came with the deluxe black interior or not.

If I ever get ready to buy another 71-73 you bet I'll be posting as much information and photos I can about the car to get all you guy's input so I know exactly what I'm getting...I was a rookie (still am) when I bought the Mach 1, it was pretty, red, the guy "said" it was a numbers matching M code all original,( no rust :goodone:) and to top it off it sounded awsome so it had to be a good deal, I bought it on the spot. I've since found out that most of what he told me was accurate but not all of it.

You guys have pointed out several inconsistencies with the one owner Boss that I totally missed. I know a lot more about our cars than I did before I bought my Mach but I still have a lot of learning to do...glad I found this site!

Jim & Jutta-

I can point out things on cars but they are not MY cars. I respect the owners and their choices to equip their cars as THEY choose. They must be happy with their cars.

And I have learned a lot from the guys here. I just "thought" I knew.

I definitely like a car closer to stock but I have to say the personal mods to the cars I have seen

are usually very tastefully done and don't seem to degrade the marque.

I really enjoy the undertanding of how they were originally equipped. I would love to get access to the Ford archives in Dearborn - just to research and learn more about these cars.

Ray

If I ever get ready to buy another 71-73 you bet I'll be posting as much information and photos I can about the car to get all you guy's input so I know exactly what I'm getting...I was a rookie (still am) when I bought the Mach 1, it was pretty, red, the guy "said" it was a numbers matching M code all original,( no rust :goodone:) and to top it off it sounded awsome so it had to be a good deal, I bought it on the spot. I've since found out that most of what he told me was accurate but not all of it.

You guys have pointed out several inconsistencies with the one owner Boss that I totally missed. I know a lot more about our cars than I did before I bought my Mach but I still have a lot of learning to do...glad I found this site!

I agree, the collective knowledge on this site is amazing.

I don't think anyone is trying to rag on the car, but just because it's a one owner does not mean it was never customized to the owners taste. So the inconsistencies being pointed out are to help any prospective buyer and improve all our knowledge here. Probably not many of our Mustangs left that are totally original. So good luck to the seller whoever they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim & Jutta-

I can point out things on cars but they are not MY cars. I respect the owners and their choices to equip their cars as THEY choose. They must be happy with their cars.

Ray
I totally agree, some of the modifications I've seen guys on this site have made to their cars are amazing but it's nice to have access to such a knowledgeable group of guys in helping to determine what modifications have been made, especially if it's your intent to buy as original as possible. I don't think it was anyone's intent to be disrespectful to owner of the 71 Boss by pointing out modifications, I love that car and wouldn't change a thing if it was mine but it's good know information if your bidding on it and want it 100% original.

Jim & Jutta-

I totally agree, some of the modifications I've seen guys on this site have made to their cars are amazing but it's nice to have access to such a knowledgeable group of guys in helping to determine what modifications have been made, especially if it's your intent to buy as original as possible. I don't think it was anyone's intent to be disrespectful to owner of the 71 Boss by pointing out modifications, I love that car and wouldn't change a thing if it was mine but it's good know information if your bidding on it and want it 100% original.
{Thumbs up} I know i learned alot being on here...Knowing alot about these cars tring to research my own..I thought i seen it all...Ya right!! I keep being blown away on this site and the information that comes threw it ...Im still thou..Tring to decode my car lol...That damn J code has me stumped to this day..lol..It was after marti report couldnt decode all of my car that i finaly got on this site...My marti report did not tell me my car was ordered with dual sport mirrors...Even know my buck tag said it did..I thought some one stuck some funky mirrors on my car sence they didnt match alot of mach 1's at the show..But the good folks on this forum was able to inform me one code was dual sport mirrors...In 15 years of doing my own paper work...I have learned more on this site about 71-73 mustangs than in all of my life as a fan and owner..lol

Back