71 convertible 302-2V from AUSTRIA

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice !! That is a beautiful blue!! Keep us posted on your progress. The early transmission from the 66 shouldn't be a problem. I am running one in my 71. The only difference is the input shaft splines for torque converter. As long as yours came with the proper torque converter you wont have an issue.

wow looks like you have a long way ahead of you.

welcome and hello from vienna 1140

abudi

Hallo,

Given the cost of fuel there, you might want to look at finding an Automatic Overdrive Transmission for that car. Any from the late 80s Ford with 5.0L engines would work and you would not have to modify the car to make it fit.

Eric

Hallo,

Given the cost of fuel there, you might want to look at finding an Automatic Overdrive Transmission for that car.  Any from the late 80s Ford with 5.0L engines would work and you would not have to modify the car to make it fit.

Eric
Hello Eric,

thank you for this information, you may be right !

do you have more information about these OD transmissions?

thank you

Wolfgang

@Wolfgang

I see you have a 302-2v.

You might want consider one of these.

These thunderbirds, up to 93 were sold in Europe and came with the AOD transmission.

Do not look younger as they have AODE after 93. If you search for LX models v8, from 89 to 93, you will find them, much cheaper over here than mustangs from same years.

In case you miss a lot and you are not after original, because you have a 302, the entire electric harness, fuel injection, engine would fit without much problems in your car.

I drive one of these daily, and got one before that. I can tell you the EC4 computer + 302 (5.0 HO) give you 1/10 fuel economy if the engine is healthy. It pulls the 2 tons baby to warp speed in no time, and would do much better on a lighter 71 mustang.

These AOD's are very strong and durable. My previous 91 had 325k with zero problems, same for my current 93 with over 360k.

My 73 FMX will be replaced with one of these.

https://www.autoscout24.nl/aanbod/ford-thunderbird-4-6-v8-lx-benzine-grijs-ab09a866-f9e8-e647-e053-e350040a1028

If you seeks just the trans, that is bolt on 71-73 302 or 351c, for this specific offer, you are looking at same price as let u buy/import a new trans, from for instance TCI (+- 1k no converter or yoke) vs extra costs to renew/refresh the donor car trans before install into the mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Nice blue color. Looks like you are off to a great start. Let us know what you need and how we can help with your restoration.

Back