71 coup bumper type

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmurphy

Reaction score
My Car
71 coupe 302 V-8
I am restoring a 71 coupe and have a lot of questions. My first question is on the front bumper. The bumper i have is a padded/painted type, but I see chrome ones on some 71 mustangs. Did different bumpers come on the coupe, Mach 1 and the Fastback? The front grille on the car is similar to a Mach 1 grill and the hood is a Mach 1 hood. Does it matter what bumber I use. The front trim piece on the hood is painted, not chrome. I have a question on the rear bumber. It is is very good shape. There were two bumper stickers on the bumper and when I took them off the chrome underneath is in excellent condition. Any ideas on how to buff the remaining bumper to look like the area under the stickers?

yes the chrome and painted bumpers came on coupe. if the rear isnt in to bad of shape , try a very fine steel wool in the 0000 range and then use sumthing like mothers wheel polish to shine . it worked on mine anyways.

Hi Tim! Welcome to the forum. Sorry, with my 73 convertible I can't offer much help with your bumper issue, but if you zip over to the Introductions forum, we could give you a proper welcome and you might run into many more guys that could give you a hand.

Doc

I am restoring a 71 coupe and have a lot of questions. My first question is on the front bumper. The bumper i have is a padded/painted type, but I see chrome ones on some 71 mustangs. Did different bumpers come on the coupe, Mach 1 and the Fastback? The front grille on the car is similar to a Mach 1 grill and the hood is a Mach 1 hood. Does it matter what bumber I use. The front trim piece on the hood is painted, not chrome. I have a question on the rear bumber. It is is very good shape. There were two bumper stickers on the bumper and when I took them off the chrome underneath is in excellent condition. Any ideas on how to buff the remaining bumper to look like the area under the stickers?
Your coupe has the Decor Group. Does it have dual Racing mirrors. I use SOS soap pad then chrome polish.

Hey Tim! welcome here!!...

Your questions are very suitable and i´m not an expert on this kind of optionals... I´m having the helps of this guy to undesrtand what correct and what´s not in my car...

What i have to say is: i never seen a Coupé with the NASA style hood, being factory original, but this hood is in fact, the most seen type of hood (maybe i´m wrong) in all Mach 1 cars, being mach 1 one of the most common mustangs of this years...

It makes scence that a NASA hood were trimmed with the painted trim and if it is that, the fender extensions should be painted too...

If you have this trim painted combo, the car closes his looks if it has a rubber, painted to match bumper...

Again i´m maybe wrong but could it be possible that your car has the entire Mach 1 front?? Maybe the car had an accident and they replaced all the front with a second hand but good shaped mach 1 front, starting for the NASA Hood.. assuming it wasn´t available stock in a coupé back then...

Well Jim... enjoy our site!!!

Back