71 First Start after 22+ years

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
We started my 71 for the first time in 22+ years. What a fun three year adventure it has been.

Saturday we were schedule to work on electrical and when one of the automotive instructors showed up (nice working at a college with the program), he said “let’s fire her up.” We had a few hiccups to overcome.

1. We have a short that is not sending power to the NSS. We finally figured it out and were able to move forward.

2. We had a small flame up from the carb but after adjustments it never happened again.

3. Someone forgot to replace the tank to pump fuel line. You should have seen the finger pointing that followed. It was actually pretty funny. Thank God I put a filter right before the carb and so none of it made it to the carb. After trying to blow them out, we had to finally give up and order new ones (more on this in a minute).

4. We put water in and it started pouring out from the heads. Some moron (who will remain nameless, but we’re blaming a guy who is no longer helping because he cannot defend himself) put the wrong gasket on the heads. We got the correct ones and resealed the engine.

5. We ran a hose from a 5 gallon gas can to the pump so we could break her in.

6. We finally got her to fire up only to notice that the new fuel pump was leaking and required us to get another one.

7. She finally cranked and ran for about 30-40 minutes while we tuned and broke in the engine.

She ran great! We have a LOT of tuning to do, but the engine sounded solid.

I need to thank all of the instructors, past and present, and students of the Angelina College automotive program for giving countless hours to the project (even on their own time). Thank you William Weiting of Mustang Medic for advice and friendship over the past three years. I need to thank members of this forum for countless advice and support. I especially want to thank Wolverine for giving a Pertronic module to help move the project along. And of course Don at Ohio Mustang for the countless advice, good service, and integrity. If you don’t use him, you should.

Here is a short video of first start. I only recorded the first minute, but you get the idea. I am like a little kid at Christmas!

FirstStart.mp4

Attachments

• FirstStart.mp4
    3.7 MB
Nice feeling to hear life again in what many considered a dead project! Keep us posted on the first drive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice feeling life again in what many considered a dead project!
Reminds me of the weeks after my vasectomy.

What? Oh, TMI? Sorry.

:)

No, seriously: congrats! It's those milestones that keep the fun alive in the whole mess and sparks enthusiasm. .

Nice feeling to hear life again in what many considered a dead project! Keep us posted on the first drive!
We're closer than you think. I have video of us with the tail up in the air and us allowing the car to shift through the gears. We have some steering and break work to do first.

Congrats to you and your Dad

Who is going to do the first burn out ?

Oh wait - the collage kids probably already did :p

Back