'72 Convertible, 351-2v, 3-speed, Black (1724-A), red interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why black was a special order? It seems like black was always a popular color and it seems like I have seen black 71-73 mustangs before. I always assumed it was a standard available color, or was black special order only for all three years?

Black was not a standard color for 72-73 Mustangs. No idea why Ford discontinued the color after 71. I had an M-code RamAir 4speed Mach back in the 90s that was Raven Black w/stripes. Sold it because the guy I bought it from "lost" the VIN tag. Hindsight - I should have kept it anyway.

So that makes sense, I probably saw 71’s then Dennis.

Black was not a standard color for 72-73 Mustangs. No idea why Ford discontinued the color after 71. I had an M-code RamAir 4speed Mach back in the 90s that was Raven Black w/stripes. Sold it because the guy I bought it from "lost" the VIN tag. Hindsight - I should have kept it anyway.
My 73 Mustang convertible is original black paint, black interior and black top.
So, I think you must be mistaken about that.

My 73 Mustang convertible is original black paint, black interior and black top.
So, I think you must be mistaken about that.

To clarify, black was not a regular production color after 1971 on the Mustang. You could special order it in Black, as it was still in use on other Ford vehicles. The door data tag would be blank under the Color and have a six digit DSO. There are several 72 and 73 special order paint cars in Black here on the forum, including the one owned by the OP of this thread. I believe David (carolina_mountain_mustangs) has a Black '73 convertible as well.

1692713470613.png

Back