72 fuel gauge issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you fixed your problem, but the 71-73 Mustang Fuel Sender des not work on 12V. the IVE controls the voltage a around 2-3 second intervals at about 5-6 vdc. The sender should have a resistance value of 10 ohms when the tanks is full and should read about 73 ohms when the tanks is full. If the sender is a new unit with a plastic float chanber they are prone to filling up after a few months and then the unit does not work well. Here is the test procedure for the IVR. Using the voltmeter check the voltage at the connection on the sending unit. The voltage should flucutate from 0 05 volts and all over the place, this means the voltage Regulator is good. If the voltage is steady then the IVR is toast.

Well after 10 years I finally have a fuel gauge that works, hahah. I ended up ordering a new printed circuit, and an IVR. problem solved. thanks for all your support every one.

-Sorry Droptop I never did get a picture of it from the front. I really liked the way it looked though. I have an Autometer Tach that fits like a glove that im not using anymore if your interested. Looks very similar to the factory tach.

heres a pic:

IMG00004-20101020-2019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back