72 Mach1 Ginger standard trim - what colour dash pad?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Looking for some info from the brains trust.

I have a July 72 Mach 1 Sports roof that is gold glow with standard ginger trim.

The car currently has a black dash pad but the steering wheel is ginger and some dash parts, ie beside the radio and the metal dash part near the windscreen are ginger. (Per this picture.)

black dash.JPG

I keep an eye on facebook and youtube in terms of 71-73 Mustangs and have seen 2 recently that have standard ginger trim and both have ginger dash pads.

I have had the current dash pad out and it has a cast mark in it on the under side that suggests that it is a reproduction  ... chila Mustang or something like that. Also the retaining bolts all look to have been tightened in a different place compared to when the car was built. ie I can see where the nuts were and has since moved.

Here are some pics of 2 other cars with a ginger dash. The 1st one is a 73 and a coupe and the second is a sports roof Mach 1. But both have standard trim.

Ginger dash 1.JPG

Ginger dash 2.JPG

So the question is.. Should the dash pad be ginger? I'm thinking it should.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Looking for some info from the brains trust.

I have a July 72 Mach 1 Sports roof that is gold glow with standard ginger trim.

The car currently has a black dash pad but the steering wheel is ginger and some dash parts, ie beside the radio and the metal dash part near the windscreen are ginger. (Per this picture.)

View attachment 52593

I keep an eye on facebook and youtube in terms of 71-73 Mustangs and have seen 2 recently that have standard ginger trim and both have ginger dash pads.

I have had the current dash pad out and it has a cast mark in it on the under side that suggests that it is a reproduction  ... chila Mustang or something like that. Also the retaining bolts all look to have been tightened in a different place compared to when the car was built. ie I can see where the nuts were and has since moved.

Here are some pics of 2 other cars with a ginger dash. The 1st one is a 73 and a coupe and the second is a sports roof Mach 1. But both have standard trim.

View attachment 52594

View attachment 52595

So the question is.. Should the dash pad be ginger? I'm thinking it should.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes. Ginger.

David, perfect.. Thanks.

Yes the column is black, the sides of the centre part of the dash next to the radio and heater is ginger, the stock wheel is ginger and the belts were black before I removed them.

I have some colour matched spray paint. So may pull it out and spray the dash pad I have.. If I stuff it up I could always order a ginger one from Scott Drake.

I have already picked up a small black centre console and have painted it and the colour is fairly good.

I'm also looking at trying to repair the back plastics and will use the same paint so things in the car will be fairly matching. 

The chances of my car sitting next to another ginger interior car here in Australia are very low.. So as long as the interior generally matches to each other then I will be happy. 

Back