72 Sprint hood paint with a Ramair hood?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I tried looking for info or pictures on this topic and came up empty. Could a 72 Sprint be ordered with ramair? Or just a ramair hood be ordered with it? If so, what would the hood color be? I am not sure black or argent would have looked correct and the blue on the flat hood is glossy from what I recall.guy selling the Sprint is a great guy, he gave me some parts free

I tried looking for info or pictures on this topic and came up empty. Could a 72 Sprint be ordered with ramair? Or just a ramair hood be ordered with it? If so, what would the hood color be? I am not sure black or argent would have looked correct and the blue on the flat hood is glossy from what I recall.guy selling the Sprint is a great guy, he gave me some parts free
Never seen a factory Sprint with Ram Air but they did make 298 351 4V Sprints . Being that all the Sprints came with the flat hood and grabber blue with red pinstriped graphics, I don’t think you could get Ram Air without the needed NACA hood.

That's interesting that Ford didn't offer the NASA hood with the Sprints, especially with the 351 cars 2 or 4 barrel.
Lots of Mach 1s sold with the 351 2 barrel H codes. My theory, (not that it took any brains to come up with this) is that back in the day, I'm guessing a guy could buy a Edelbrock, Holley and a chrome air cleaner for less than the 4 V option, and folks didn't realize they also weren't getting the heads, compression etc that came with the 4V's.

Hi Chris!-
If it was me (which it ain't!...), I would either go with a plain white NACA hood, or replicate the Ramair hood blackout in the Sprint Blue.
Or maybe a version of the Boss in blue?

You were asking about the radiator support rust on that car, is it a problem? I ask because I have a fairly good radiator support on a parts car. Scuzzy with some holes by the battery tray, but the bottom looks good.

Hi Chris!-
If it was me (which it ain't!...), I would either go with a plain white NACA hood, or replicate the Ramair hood blackout in the Sprint Blue.
Or maybe a version of the Boss in blue?

You were asking about the radiator support rust on that car, is it a problem? I ask because I have a fairly good radiator support on a parts car. Scuzzy with some holes by the battery tray, but the bottom looks good.
I can't make up my mind lol. Mike Berardi has a really decent Spring FB and I was really just curious about a ramair hood on a Sprint. I want one but also may jump on another vert that needs a LOT of work but was pretty well optioned. The car was listed in this forum. 71 M code ramair with t-loc and many options but was very parted out and rusty. If I get the vert I may need a few odds and ends. On Mike's Sprint it looked like there was some rust on the bottom of the road support, perhaps rusted thru.

According to Daniel Russell from his now-defunct Sprint Registry, the dealer literature he has indicated the Ram-Air option was not available with the Sprint package, and it specifies the NASA hood as not available on Sprint Mustangs.
So even though the '72 Q engine option included a Mach 1 style hood, it was not included with the Sprint package with the Q engine. With the NASA hood non-availability, that would also rule out any ram air H code Sprints.
The '65-72 Ford Master Parts Catalog (MPC) only lists one hood stripe style on a '72 Mustang Sprint, which would be for the flat hood.
If you desire the Ram-style hood for your sprint, you could always do as suggested by detritusmaximus and paint Grabber blue instead of the agent or black usually seen. Red pinstripe tape on the hood treatment would match the lower body side accent treatment.

The photo below illustrates an owner-installed ram air hood with Grabber blue and red pinstripe treatment replicating the Mach 1 style appearance.

1699590083859.png

It's been done (although, it could use the Ramair lettering in Red)...have to do the Boss style!

In keeping with the Sprint theme, there are options for you if you want to have a Ram air-style hood on a Sprint Mustang using the Grabber blue accent color. There are stencil and decal options for the various Ram Air callouts. The stencil would be applied to the white hood before the Grabber Blue was painted. That would allow "Ram Air" in the body color white to show through the blue when the stencil is removed. There are also options for using a red Ram Air decal in keeping with the red pinstripe theme on the hood and side accent color on the production Sprint car. This would work with either Mach 1 or Boss hood accent styles. The red decal would also work if you decided to leave the hood all white.

Graphic Express offers the various Ram Air Callouts in stencil and decal form. You can check the "Select An Option" box to choose the stencil or decal with custom colors. They also offer the ability to order samples of the actual decal if you are undecided about the shade of red you desire.

https://graphic-express.com/collect...ustang-mach-1-boss-351-ram-air-hood-decal-set

I had a friend who had an original back in the early 80's. It had the Mach 1 hood in all white, no contrasting colors. The Flat hoods had the color treatment. My friends was not a Ram Air car, but remember, Ram-Air only came on 2 barrel cars after 71.

Something about these cars looks really good with body color NACA hoods. Even if there are the sidestripes, it's nice to actually see the contours of the hood, not just matte black.

Back