71 bright red ramair vert ..argent or black hood with a white top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
This is with respect to the car I have been posting about whether to save or sell. It is a bright red ramair vert with a white top per the Marti. Would the hood center have been black or argent? Not sure a black hood would look right with a white vert top? I have been rummaging thru the forums to no avail.

I say save it. I’d save my Sprint coupe parts car but it got stuffed hard in the rears. Its also a F-code , package A car so not super desirable. Yours on the other hand is loaded. Do you think any parts of my coupe would interchange with your vert ?

A car like that should match the Marti report especially since it already has the metal repair story and doesn't need more stories. Argent in my opinion just doesn't look right on bright red.

As Hemkiller stated, body color determined what lower accent color, Tu-tone hood, and body side tape stripe were defaulted to.
All '71 Mustangs with the lower accent paint received black paint (Along with black body side stripes and Tu-tone
hood paint if equipped). The exceptions are "A" #1724 Black, "C" #3542 Dark Green Metallic, "J" #3657 Grabber Blue, and "6" #3077 Blue Metallic. These four colors received Argent paint (and stripes if equipped). For '72/73, color codes "4Q" #3542 Dark Green metallic, "3K" #5210 Blue Glow, and "4C" #5072 Ivy Bronze Metallic were added to the argent-only list.
I've seen Grabber Blue and Blue Metallic cars with owner installed black paint and accents, which look good. I feel the black does do a better job of hiding road tar and other debris thrown up by the tires. Another combination I've seen that looks good but was never offered by Ford is red with silver accent paint and stripes. Years ago, I took the photo below at a car show sponsored by D & D Motors in Greer, S.C. It illustrates the silver stripe and accent colors on red. It sure looked good to me. The car was not part of the show but was doing some "Protective" parking. The show was at the Ford dealer behind the Po Folks sign.
Unless you are doing Concours, paint or stripe it the way you like.

1700963442994.png

As Hemkiller stated, body color determined what lower accent color, Tu-tone hood, and body side tape stripe were defaulted to.
All '71 Mustangs with the lower accent paint received black paint (Along with black body side stripes and Tu-tone
hood paint if equipped). The exceptions are "A" #1724 Black, "C" #3542 Dark Green Metallic, "J" #3657 Grabber Blue, and "6" #3077 Blue Metallic. These four colors received Argent paint (and stripes if equipped). For '72/73, color codes "4Q" #3542 Dark Green metallic, "3K" #5210 Blue Glow, and "4C" #5072 Ivy Bronze Metallic were added to the argent-only list.
I've seen Grabber Blue and Blue Metallic cars with owner installed black paint and accents, which look good. I feel the black does do a better job of hiding road tar and other debris thrown up by the tires. Another combination I've seen that looks good but was never offered by Ford is red with silver accent paint and stripes. Years ago, I took the photo below at a car show sponsored by D & D Motors in Greer, S.C. It illustrates the silver stripe and accent colors on red. It sure looked good to me. The car was not part of the show but was doing some "Protective" parking. The show was at the Ford dealer behind the Po Folks sign.
Unless you are doing Concours, paint or stripe it the way you like.

View attachment 83288
It seems an odd combination not have a black hood and white vert top on a red car but color coordination is not my strong point. On a related topic I did read there was a black car that was ordered with the the black accent paint. I think kt hat would be really cool. I think it was a comment from Marti wondering where that car is if is still exists. I may need to go with a black top IF I bite the bullet to restore the red vert. I am diverted back to my grabber blue vert trying to put headers in

Back