72Mach 1 - Heater hose through the firewall. Is there something missing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Looking at my heater hoses that run from the engine through the firewall to the heater on my 72 Mach1 (351-2v).

I'm thinking there should be a rubber grommet or something around the pipes to stop air / heat / cold coming into the cabin from the engine bay.

Can someone share any pics of what it "should" look like?

20210421_201949 (Large).jpg

Looking at a 71 Boss 351 over the weekend it seems to have a foam cover, but I wonder if that's correct? Wouldn't the foam go between the firewall and the heater box on the inside of the car?

If this is correct.. Are these available some somewhere. I cant find them in the Scott Drake parts book.

20210418_123342 (Large).jpg

Yes. this is my original foam pad I reused on my refurbished AC/heater box. I could not find a suitable replacement when restoring my J Code Vert. This is a very heavy and dense foam material and certainly works to keep things out of the interior... It is installed on the inside of the car.

vert 71 ac & heat box rebuild final (2).jpg

It was on my 71 when I got it, but when I redid the bay, it fell apart, so I just made one from, believe it or not, an old dive suit. Did the job until I get around to finding the proper part........... someday.

IMG_1074.1.JPG

Thanks for the info guys. 

I will see if I can find some rubber or something to make one from.

I wonder if these would do the job..

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/69-70-htr-hose-f-wall-grommest-382745-s

I also wonder why on earth they would have changed from the 69/70 grommet type per above..

3cb8fa1f7c611a898226b037602f.jpg

Back