73 Aluminum slot wheels lug damage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 351 4V 4-speed convert
Hey everyone,

Haven't posted for a while but thought it was time to start again. I found these 73 aluminum slot wheels on kijiji and picked them up last weekend. I already have the originals on my Mustang but thought I could use them on my Galaxie until I find some Torq Thrust Ds. They need a good polish but should clean up fine. However, one wheel looks like the lug nuts were loose and damaged the lug openings. There seems to be an insert that goes in the opening and I am hoping I can replace them. Anyone have any experience doing this or know of a source for the inserts. Pics are attached of the wheels, clean lug opening inserts, and damaged lug openings.

IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0086.JPG IMG_0085.JPG

Personally, I'd unfortunately call that one a throwaway.

For the job it does, the stress it's under, and considering the consequences of a failure....... no.

Don't throw that away...it is definitely salvageable!

I have had many aluminum wheels repaired over the years from a place called "Wheel Collision Center" in Bath, Pa.

They can repair damaged lug holes no problem.

I even had a set of rims that were GM-spec lug holes filled and redrilled in a Ford pattern. They came out perfect...no way to tell.

They can paint, polish and clearcoat in any way you want also. I highly recommend them.

Don't throw that away...it is definitely salvageable!

I have had many aluminum wheels repaired over the years from a place called "Wheel Collision Center" in Bath, Pa.

They can repair damaged lug holes no problem.

I even had a set of rims that were GM-spec lug holes filled and redrilled in a Ford pattern. They came out perfect...no way to tell.

They can paint, polish and clearcoat in any way you want also. I highly recommend them.

Few years ago I would have disagreed with Kit, but after watching a guy repair a wheel first hand with a Tig, grinding, cleanup and polishing on an old wheel I am believer. As hard as it is to simply replace classic wheels like those today the cost is worth it many times. We have the technology.......

Latest posts

Back