73 Convertible Restoration Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the car to it's first car show locally on borrowed tires and rims. Still waiting to mount the original Aluminum slots on the new Firestone classic radial tires scheduled for release in July. In the meantime the car looks pretty good in those borrowed trim rings and BF Goodrich T/As.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some final engine bay and undercarriage detailing.... Added paint marks and made the decals and stampings myself, after some research and using originals as examples...

Finally Firestone to started producing their new Wide Oval Radials. I have had my order for five GR70 x 14s in with Coker Tires for nine months, just waiting for them to start shipping. Got them mounted on the original 73 aluminum slot wheels today and on the car they went. Took it out for a drive and the ride great a little softer than my T/A Radials, but the handling for a classic reproduction radial tire is just fine.

Great Job done there! Who did your Convertible Top?
Thanks. I bought the top thru NPD (I think) and some other top parts thru Mustang Unlimited. I wanted to use the correct heavy original type padding and the concourse correct two-piece plastic bow finishing strip. The Ginger vinyl boot cover is the original.

Its been a while since I posted an update. After completing the restoration, I have been attending various shows, including the Carlisle 50 Year Anniversary meet last June 2021, where the car was one of the featured cars, along with fellow members David Fowler and his one owner heavily optioned '73 Mach 1, John Wanzel and his beautiful Grabber Green '71 Mach 1, and Brian with his near perfect Green '72 Mach 1.

Since completing the car, I decided to replace the 3.50 gears with 3.00 to improve highway cruising. highway rpms are lower now with the 3.00 gears and the original 3 speed C6 Automatic, making the highway ride more enjoyable for me.

1973 Mustang Carlisle 1557a.jpg

20210603_145920.jpg

Back