73 Convertible Restoration Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet. Looks great.
Thanks Jason. How is your project coming along with those Aussie heads? I recall you were looking for a pair of door jamb wire harness boots. Still need them or any anything else? Message me, I just might have it. I'm going to be unloading some extra parts soon. 

Rich

Getting there. Just got the engine bay all painted out and went through all the wire harnesses and rewrapped them. Close to putting engine back in the car. Will be doing suspension and steering work this week and maybe be ready by next weekend for the motor to go back in. I did find the boots.

I haven't been on in a while and looked at your thread. That was a lot of work but you saved another one.

In your pic of the engine transmission looked like the trans was a BB with the cast iron tail shaft. Did it have VIN in the trans or was it a replacement? Might just be the colors of the paint also.

I haven't been on in a while and looked at your thread. That was a lot of work but you saved another one.

In your pic of the engine transmission looked like the trans was a BB with the cast iron tail shaft. Did it have VIN in the trans or was it a replacement? Might just be the colors of the paint also.
David, When I cleaned up the trans, I noticed that the tail shaft was iron and a slightly different color. So I tried to duplicate that by using a different shade of cast paint. I have limited knowledge here, but looking at the trans casting Numbers and data plate, I believe it is the original trans. The guy who rebuilt it did not think it had been overhauled before. But since the build sheet is illegible, I will never know for sure. All I have to go on is in the pics below?

hosting gif

David, When I cleaned up the trans, I noticed that the tail shaft was iron and a slightly different color. So I tried to duplicate that by using a different shade of cast paint. I have limited knowledge here, but looking at the trans casting Numbers and data plate, I believe it is the original trans. The guy who rebuilt it did not think it had been overhauled before. But since the build sheet is illegible, I will never know for sure. All I have to go on is in the pics below?

hosting gif
Rich,

On your data tag the trans is a PVA-AV2 which is from a 1973 Mustang with a 351C. In the second to last picture, bottom right corner there is a circle with two numbers...5 and 73 which is the date code of case. In the last picture are the numbers 47029 which should match the last numbers of your vin...if they do then it is original to the car.

Jeff,

Well I'll be dammed, I have been looking at the 47029 on the trans casing all this time and did not realize it was the last five of the VIN. The car was a June 73 build, so the 5 - 73 date code is also correct. I guess that settles it. Thanks for pointing this out.

Rich

OKay had the roof installed last week and put the interior back in for the first time in almost 20 years. Pulled out the original water shields and the cardboard door sill channel covers they were still in decent shape, so I used them. Still need to get tires mounted on the aluminum slots, just waiting for the new Firestone Classic Radial in my size to become available..

Did you take the sky shots with a drone?
Nope, nothing that slick. I just used a mild wide angle lens on my Nikon off a second story deck that overlooks the driveway.

Thanks all. Need to start planning my next project....after I eliminate the long list of stuff on the wife's honey-do list.

Got anything else laying around from 20 years ago, ? lol. Great job , looking forward to your new project. Since I've slowed down so much lately, I enjoy watching everyone else's progress. Have enjoyed your build.

Back