73 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Odd problem with my power steering pump ... second time this has happened. Both times the vehicle was idling for an extended period of time. Today, at high idle for a few minutes ... cool outside. It appears that PS fluid is backing up and flowing out of the dipstick fill tube area. Any ideas on why ?

Thanks

Odd problem with my power steering pump ... second time this has happened. Both times the vehicle was idling for an extended period of time. Today, at high idle for a few minutes ... cool outside. It appears that PS fluid is backing up and flowing out of the dipstick fill tube area. Any ideas on why ?

Thanks
I'm following this for an answer too...mine is doing the exact same thing..even after full hose and pump replacement...I did the whole bleeding process a couple of times. The dipstick fits nice and snug too....Driving me nuts. Mine does it usually after I turn the engine off.

Thanks
I'm following this for an answer too...mine is doing the exact same thing..even after full hose and pump replacement...I did the whole bleeding process a couple of times. The dipstick fits nice and snug too....Driving me nuts. Mine does it usually after I turn the engine off.
The first time mine did it ...it was up on a lift in drive with the rear wheels turning at idle...hot day out. The mechanic was looking for some other issue. He checked the hoses and could not find any problem ... felt that it had come out of the fill tube. Today, cool day out... app. 40 degrees. Just put rebuilt carb back on car, it had not run in over a month. Started it at fast idle for a while ... finally warmed up and the rpm's slowed ... took it for a 5 minute drive, pulled it back into the garage, left it idling and then noticed a 8-10 inch puddle under the pump. Looked like it had sprayed out the fill tube and ran down the inside of the engine compartment between the wheel well and engine. Have never had any other issues with the car ... has never overheated.

Back