'73 Mach 1 full restoration - The Beginning

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about the shop thing before. Looking around town at buildings for rent, I found a small automotive shop for rent. It had a 2 post lift and a big air compressor in it. 6 month lease was only $3500. If I had the money available to do that, I would have done it. The only other thing you have to pay for really is electricity, and insurance if you are inclined to get any. To me it would be worth it having access to a lift 24/7 for 6 months if im doing a complete restoration, and having a big compressor at the shop already plumbed out is very helpfull as well.

Here in Orlando they have 2 places that will rent a bay to work by the hour or by the day. They also have mechanics you can pay to help you when needed at a reasonable price. They also have tool rental as well. This is the perfect thing if you want to pull the engine/transmission then haul it all back home to work on it, then bring it back, rent the shop and put it back together.

Heres a link to the ones in orlando, maybe they have something like this where you live. you can check these sites to compare pricing on where you are.

http://dityautorepair.com/

http://superiormufflerandbayrental.com/bay-rental/

Hey keep check on Craigslist. I live in North Carolina and I posted that I will rent out my 2 post lift and a bay in my new shop to another Ford guy just no off brands like GM or Dodge, etc. lol. My shop is 4,000 sq. ft. and has a separate room for body work to keep dust out of main shop.

I offered the lift if someone needs to do a transmission or clutch job. Also have engine hoist, A frame and chain fall along with brake lathe. I just want to get a little money to pay the power bill and add a few more items to the garage.

I rented space in another shop before mine was built for 4 cars for $200 a month had compressor and power so I thought a good deal.

I also in the past rented paint booth at a body shop to paint my 20th. Ann Mustang after wife crashed it and I had to pull on frame machine, replace all of the front end inner panels, and sheet metal. He wanted to hire me said I did better work than his guys, lol. I did the prep, metal replacement and primer in my one car garage then took to the body shop for sealer and top coats.

You should place an ad on Craigslist wanting space to work. You might find someone like myself willing to help. I have a liability waver anyone has to sign that does work here and was written by attorney. You do have to be safe about accidents. I am one of those people that does not believe in insurance and have no insurance on home or shop. So you do not come on my property with signing the waiver. Posted for No Trespassing.

Here is link to my ad that I just re posted today. http://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/5980476685.html

Hey keep check on Craigslist. I live in North Carolina and I posted that I will rent out my 2 post lift and a bay in my new shop to another Ford guy just no off brands like GM or Dodge, etc. lol. My shop is 4,000 sq. ft. and has a separate room for body work to keep dust out of main shop.

I offered the lift if someone needs to do a transmission or clutch job. Also have engine hoist, A frame and chain fall along with brake lathe. I just want to get a little money to pay the power bill and add a few more items to the garage.

I rented space in another shop before mine was built for 4 cars for $200 a month had compressor and power so I thought a good deal.

I also in the past rented paint booth at a body shop to paint my 20th. Ann Mustang after wife crashed it and I had to pull on frame machine, replace all of the front end inner panels, and sheet metal. He wanted to hire me said I did better work than his guys, lol. I did the prep, metal replacement and primer in my one car garage then took to the body shop for sealer and top coats.

You should place an ad on Craigslist wanting space to work. You might find someone like myself willing to help. I have a liability waver anyone has to sign that does work here and was written by attorney. You do have to be safe about accidents. I am one of those people that does not believe in insurance and have no insurance on home or shop. So you do not come on my property with signing the waiver. Posted for No Trespassing.

Here is link to my ad that I just re posted today. http://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/5980476685.html
A Craigslist ad might be worth while, just have to be really careful about who I'd go with. Leaving all my parts where who knows what can happen with them. I wouldn't mind looking into your shop if I wasn't on the opposite side of the county, somehow time to work on the car might be scarce like that. Thank for bringing it up though.

Great question.  I farmed my body restoration out after I did floors, and wheel houses.

The guy I hired said he did not like media blast to strip the car because he had several restorations that had the media loosen from a corner during color coat and ruin his work.  He said there was no guarantee you can get all the blast media out.  Having said that, I know a lot of people blast because it's readily available.

My body guy hauled mine from KC to Evansville Indiana to have it dipped.  The facility was called Ready Strip or something like that.  He said it was much easier to do the welding on clean metal.

The down side. EVERYTHING has to come off the car and be inventoried.  EVERYTHING!
I thought about getting the car dipped but that's about as far as I got with the idea,  not even sure where I would go to do it and if it is cost effective,.  I'm sure I'd have to ship the car pretty far to get it done though.  Living in the wonderful state of California with all the chemical restrictions I'm sure it'll be fun and pricey too.  As for tearing it down,  Already done!  The only thing left on the car is brake lines, the fuel line, paint and rust...I'll look into it though and see what I come up with.  Thanks!

Also, yours looks like it's coming along quite nice... it looks like you had a good starting place.

I'm FINALLY posting the pics of my rack online... (tee hee)... It's not fancy or special but it works.  Makes it real easy to move the car around, work on or under it and it's way more stable than it looks...  

when it's down...

20170209_164119.jpg

when it's up...

20170209_162118.jpg

from the back...

20170209_161651.jpg

rear construction

20170209_161719.jpg

bolted to rear leaf spring sub frame

20170209_161713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back