73 Mach I Factory AC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel sort of foolish asking this question being the operation of the heat/cool lever is simple. Mine is working backwards. When I move the lever to cool, it blows warm. When I move
it to warm, it blows cool. The cable can only go on one way and it connects direct to the lever on the heater box. It's moving the lever left and right, so I can't understand how it can.
work backwards. There is a vacuum switch that the lever contacts when in the cool position, which I assume has to do with the AC. The first pic is in the heat position and the second is in the
cool position.

Attachments

• image_16893185.JPG
    image_16893185.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • image_16899585.JPG
    image_16899585.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
I feel sort of foolish asking this question being the operation of the heat/cool lever is simple. Mine is working backwards. When I move the lever to cool, it blows warm. When I move
it to warm, it blows cool. The cable can only go on one way and it connects direct to the lever on the heater box. It's moving the lever left and right, so I can't understand how it can.
work backwards. There is a vacuum switch that the lever contacts when in the cool position, which I assume has to do with the AC. The first pic is in the heat position and the second is in the
cool position.
You have the wrong water valve. I just went thru the same thing. I had a normally closed valve when it should be a normally open valve.

I installed the new water valve I purchased from Amazon. Nothing in the spec said if it was normally opened or closed.
I can hold it up to the light and with the valve open, I can see light. When I push the vacuum lever, it closes and can see no light.
Both the one I had and the new one from Amazon, do the same thing. This is what I ordered.

1712607398433.png

I installed the new water valve I purchased from Amazon. Nothing in the spec said if it was normally opened or closed.
I can hold it up to the light and with the valve open, I can see light. When I push the vacuum lever, it closes and can see no light.
Both the one I had and the new one from Amazon, do the same thing. This is what I ordered.

View attachment 87528
That’s the right one

Any idea what else to look for being it's still working backwards after installing this? Can it be a vacuum problem?
I would say to do what Hemikiller suggest.
You might be blending cold air with your hot air and it seems like it’s not working. That how mine was with the wrong water valve.
I could get some heat with tricky the valve open but never really as hot as it should have been.

Any idea what else to look for being it's still working backwards after installing this? Can it be a vacuum problem?
The connector on the back of my AC control assembly was toast. Vacuum line will fit, gas line is too thick. I marked mine with paint pens to keep track of them. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Mach-vacuum.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm having a Classic Auto Air upgrade kit installed on the 22nd. I believe I will let the mechanic see what he can find. I did a quick look
at the outside recirculating air motor, as it's easy to see, and the vacuum line going to it is red and it should be white. I would say the
vacuum line routing may be the issue.

Back