73 Motor Mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the '73 Verts were definitely lowered while trying to eliminate a vibration issue. The pads for the non-convertibles are much taller, looks like at least 3/4". I followed your advice and picked up a set of Westar EM-2370's and drilled out the rivets on them as well as the rivets on my original '73 Vert motor mounts and flipped the pad from the 2370's into my original clamshell. I roughed them in the other day to see how they would fit and it is perfect! I just need to go pick up some grade 8 bolts the proper size and I am off to the races.
Final question; there seems to be a lot of room in there with the new rubber. The old rubber was stuck to the inside of the clamshell pretty good and I had to chisel it then wire-wheel off the residual (what a stinky mess). The new rubber has a groove in one side so I am assuming that groove is a locator for where to set the rubber before clamping down on the clamshell. [YES, that'a what worked with a 662 motor mount] Is that what you recall, or can you simply glue and install? Any recommendation on the type of glue to use to bond the rubber to the mount so it doesn't slip around under operation? [hmmm the newer after market motor mount seem a little different]... [I would try using the top of the clam from the 2730, and check the fit. better use them]... [let me know if that works, if not there are things using a press that can adjust the fit]

On a side note, It was way easier to install the headers when I pulled off the motor mounts. This is just a test fit and I have work to do on both the mounts and the headers so I will either be lifting the engine/and trans again or pulling them again to finish off the work. Sounds like a lot of work but it's way easier than trying to contort your hands and fingers to get the header bolts tight enough.
see info inserted within you post above...

regarding bolts & nuts, I like to use flange heads with blue locktite.

edited: I think the thin flange 'bolt' were a special item [friend worked at an aerospace company], but these are available from the likes of McMasters ... or the canuck like company. With flange nuts in inch or bananas lol

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 12.56.40 PM.png

Last edited:
see info inserted within you post above...

regarding bolts & nuts, I like to use flange heads with blue locktite.

edited: I think the thin flange 'bolt' were a special item [friend worked at an aerospace company], but these are available from the likes of McMasters ... or the canuck like company. With flange nuts in inch or bananas lol

View attachment 89362
Thanks, I think those bolts would be better, I will take a look for them. I will look at the clamshell as well, thanks. The bolts in the picture are only finger tight, I wanted to see how it settled to see if their was any pressure on the rubber.

Back