911 request feedback please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach1 4spd Qcode Now: 427C Titus CHI top end TKO600 4whl disc
I'm out cruising and just broke down about 30 miles from home. Loud screeching started to come thru the car's radio speakers. Checked gauges, volt gauge was pegged at 16! Pulled over and popped the hood, alternator smoking and battery (Optima) was oozing. Your analysis is welcome while I'm waiting for the tow truck!!

I'd say it's a faulty alternator or regulator. Pull alt. and take to a parts store that can test and replace regulator with a known working unit. Check wiring for melts. Good luck and hopefully it didn't cook that expensive Optima! (Run a test on battery too)

I will get another Optima Red Top. My current one is now toasted but I installed it 10 years ago so I'm please with the service. Plus it did a decent job containing it's electrolyte having only a small amount coming out the vents.
The alternator and it's internal voltage regulator tested good just now at Auto Zone, I'm a bit stumped as to why the system was putting out 16+ volts, the loud screeching sound coming out of the radio speakers was something else!. I just started the car after a 45 minute tow home and it's now putting out its normal 13.8 volts!

I'm open to any and all trouble shooting ideas!
Thanks,
Chris

Hmm. What were you listening to on the radio?
I did not even know anything was wrong till Tom Petty suddenly was replaced by the loud screeching. I tried turning the volume down but that did not even stop the horrific speaker screeching noise. It was like a scene out of the Exorcist movie!!

I did not even know anything was wrong till Tom Petty suddenly was replaced by the loud screeching. I tried turning the volume down but that did not even stop the horrific speaker screeching noise. It was like a scene out of the Exorcist movie!!
Perhaps your voltage regulator was "living like a refugee". I love Petty.

I'm out cruising and just broke down about 30 miles from home. Loud screeching started to come thru the car's radio speakers. Checked gauges, volt gauge was pegged at 16! Pulled over and popped the hood, alternator smoking and battery (Optima) was oozing. Your analysis is welcome while I'm waiting for the tow truck!!

On the way home, alas not the way planned.
I would have sent you an address to ship it to. I'm wondering if there's some kinda internal degradation that can short one of them fancy batteries out. I'd ditch the regulator just in case. This is a short to ground. You should be able to smell it. esp when it occurred. To increase charging volts like that. Look for burned wires under your dash and around the alt. You are swapping out the alt. Nobody pulled the alt wires in recent days. At least it's home.

Chris, I know your pain, but mine was not electrical. It was a PS hose that blew out of the pump fitting. I posted on that before, but this was the end result of that little trip.

Attachments

• 20230415_134546.jpg
    20230415_134546.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back