A few 73 Mach 1 questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q Code Mach 1
Where is the buck tag located on a Dearborn built 73 Mustang? And, did ALL 73 Q Codes have the chrome air cleaner lid with the extra roll shape (unique to the 73 year)? My 73 lid looks just like the chrome style only it is blue. I'm trying to figure out if it is original to this Mustang.

My '72 buck tag was located on the radiator support behind the driver side headlight. Some others are located behind the passenger side headlight, also on the radiator support. Grab a flashlight and check those locations.

I dunno about the air cleaner.

Where is the buck tag located on a Dearborn built 73 Mustang? And, did ALL 73 Q Codes have the chrome air cleaner lid with the extra roll shape (unique to the 73 year)? My 73 lid looks just like the chrome style only it is blue. I'm trying to figure out if it is original to this Mustang.
mmmm..mine is just a blue lid on my mach 1...she is a 1973 q code..from dearborn...and i dont think they came with a crome top in 1973...but i could be wrong...think alot got added later....mine is just dark blue and says 351 4v on top of the lid...and i know its factory...sticker is almost gone and its the original dark blue..never been touched up.

as for the buck tag...i got a pick of mine loaded on here..just look up buck tag on the search ..and you can see mine...mine is on the radiator support just like sm3570 says on the drivers side ..up high pretty much under the fender.

Last edited by a moderator:
This link may help. Lots of discussion reference CJ vs 4V and Chrome or blue in 1973. http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/d3zf-9600-ba.html What I think I know is, all CA. 73s had blue lid with 4V decal. Uncertain about other 49 states chrome or blue. It may be dependent on build date (early chrome, late blue). All 73 4Vs had rigid and flexible duct work to bring air from the front of the core support to the snorkel. FastE has a 73 CJ/4V he has had for a long time. He may be a good source of information. Chuck

Thanks for the replies. I was told that Cobra Jets specifically had a unique lid, with an extra "roll" towards the center, around the hole. Mine has that BUT it is not chrome. So I was thinking it has to be an original lid, but why not chrome, as I was to believe all Cobra Jet lids were. I'd like to consult w/ FastE about his take on this.

mmmm..mine is just a blue lid on my mach 1...she is a 1973 q code..from dearborn...and i dont think they came with a crome top in 1973...but i could be wrong...think alot got added later....mine is just dark blue and says 351 4v on top of the lid...and i know its factory...sticker is almost gone and its the original dark blue..never been touched up.

as for the buck tag...i got a pick of mine loaded on here..just look up buck tag on the search ..and you can see mine...mine is on the radiator support just like sm3570 says on the drivers side ..up high pretty much under the fender.
Mine 73 q code factory setup is just like the one described above - buck tag location and all.

I've been looking for a chrome breather lid for my '73 Q-code as well. However, a few weeks ago at a local show I met an original owner of a 72 Q-code 4 speed convertible. When I asked him about the chrome breather lid, he said that his was the original but maintained that 73 cars did not have chrome lids. He seemed pretty knowledgeable, hope that helps.

I have owned my '73 Q Code since the day it was delivered to me from the "Factory."

Although, I currently have a '70 428CJ motor in the car, I remember distinctly that the original air cleaner was NOT chrome - - it was Ford Blue.

Hope this helps!

BT

BT, my 73 Mach was also ordered from the export ordering district by a Sergeant who resided in Texas at the time. I have multiple documents from the Ford reps regarding the ordering of his Gold Glow Mach while he was stationed overseas. I guess it would be a long shot that you guys actually knew each other or crossed paths? Anyway, this 73 has the blue top w/ the unique (I was told) extra "roll" around the center hole. I guess I won't knock myself out trying to find a nice chrome top right now...Oh, why would you replace an original Cleveland motor if you are the original owner? Why not keep it original? THANKS for your response...

I have the original 73 Q code air cleaner for my 73.The car was built on 12-22-1972. It has the factory chrome top,with the extra lip you are describing.I will try to post a picture when I get home. The way I understand it,Ford used the chrome top until supplies ran out. I have seen some later model 73's (March,May ,June) Q codes that did not even get the extra vacum port on the side of the aircleaner. Ford was making some changes in the last part of the production year.They even started using the turn down exhaust like the Boss 351.I beleive that was an EPA thing. My buck tag was mounted on the passenger side. My car is a Dearborn also. The top was the same on all of the Q codes, 71-73 as far as I know.It does not have to be a 73 specific. You can always have your blue top plated unless you are trying to keep it date correct. It would be hard to determine an exact date Ford ran out of the chrome.

PC250017.JPG

BT, my 73 Mach was also ordered from the export ordering district by a Sergeant who resided in Texas at the time. I have multiple documents from the Ford reps regarding the ordering of his Gold Glow Mach while he was stationed overseas. I guess it would be a long shot that you guys actually knew each other or crossed paths? Anyway, this 73 has the blue top w/ the unique (I was told) extra "roll" around the center hole. I guess I won't knock myself out trying to find a nice chrome top right now...Oh, why would you replace an original Cleveland motor if you are the original owner? Why not keep it original? THANKS for your response...
My mach 1 was ordered through DSO 95 and shipped to the Philippines. I did not know anyone there who had a gold glow '73 Mustang while I was there.

As to my reason for swapping out the Cleveland, I was racing at the time and my motor was highly modified. I found I had to turn to many RPMs against the big block Chevys to be competitive. A lot of the wealthy Filipino "playboys" were pulling the motors out of their Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds and replacing them with small Japanese motors. There was a thing going on called the gas crisis.

Anyway, I was able to pick up this 428CJ motor loaded with a lot of "SK" parts for less than $100.00, along with a Toploader. Out came the Cleveland and C6 and in went the 428CJ and Toploader which I still have installed - - pending the installation of a 545 (460 stroked to 4.500" with a .030" overbore).

Incidentally, I still have a couple of Clevelands in the garage - - open and closed (Quench) chambered heads, just in case I ever want to go that route again.

When all is said and done, I am a modifier, not a restorer. So, I guess the response to your question as to "why" is because that is how I felt at the time.

As of this writing, that approach has not changed:).

BT

My mach 1 was ordered through DSO 95 and shipped to the Philippines. I did not know anyone there who had a gold glow '73 Mustang while I was there.

As to my reason for swapping out the Cleveland, I was racing at the time and my motor was highly modified. I found I had to turn to many RPMs against the big block Chevys to be competitive. A lot of the wealthy Filipino "playboys" were pulling the motors out of their Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds and replacing them with small Japanese motors. There was a thing going on called the gas crisis.

Anyway, I was able to pick up this 428CJ motor loaded with a lot of "SK" parts for less than $100.00, along with a Toploader. Out came the Cleveland and C6 and in went the 428CJ and Toploader which I still have installed - - pending the installation of a 545 (460 stroked to 4.500" with a .030" overbore).

Incidentally, I still have a couple of Clevelands in the garage - - open and closed (Quench) chambered heads, just in case I ever want to go that route again.

When all is said and done, I am a modifier, not a restorer. So, I guess the response to your question as to "why" is because that is how I felt at the time.

As of this writing, that approach has not changed:).

BT
oohh ya...i wanted to put a big block in mine as a teen...but i just couldnt afford it...wanted a 429...or atleast a 460.

back in my day...numbers matching didnt mean squat..lol...and reason why these cars are worth more matching now....i remmeber it didnt mater what motor was originaly in your car..long as it was a big block and a 4 speed it was awesome....alot of mustangs of this year are missing there motors...they were not very popular...heck a lebaron k car costed more when i got mine....waaaaay more...and you cant give them cars away now...lol... in the last 10 years these cars are starting to break loose of there bad 1974 press....i remmeber when i got my stang..my freind picked up a pinto that costed twice as much...goes to show how low these cars got..lol

Yeah, mine doesn't have the vacuum actuator on the side of the air cleaner base either, so I was assuming it isn't an original air cleaner assy. It figures Ford would be using their stock until it rain out considering the Mustang II was on its way in for 74.

Yeah, mine doesn't have the vacuum actuator on the side of the air cleaner base either, so I was assuming it isn't an original air cleaner assy. It figures Ford would be using their stock until it rain out considering the Mustang II was on its way in for 74.
I have seen at least two original cars over the years with that air

cleaner.At first I thought it was the wrong one,but Ford did it.

The 73 air cleaner seems to have a lot of variations. Blue or chrome, with air door and without, 4V or CJ decal. Chuck

I just had to bring this back to the top after reading the classified section today. The "low milage" 73 "Q" code convertable that is for sale,Check out the aircleaner! No chrome top and no extra vacum port on the side of it. Also note the dual exhaust through the rear panel. Blows my theary of the mid year cut off for those. I did not catch the build date on the car or where it was built. Chuck just goes to show you , "Life is like a box of choclates" you just never know!

I just had to bring this back to the top after reading the classified section today. The "low milage" 73 "Q" code convertable that is for sale,Check out the aircleaner! No chrome top and no extra vacum port on the side of it. Also note the dual exhaust through the rear panel. Blows my theary of the mid year cut off for those. I did not catch the build date on the car or where it was built. Chuck just goes to show you , "Life is like a box of choclates" you just never know!
E as for

The "low milage" 73 "Q" code convertible that is for sale

I don't buy the exhaust out the back

What's with the box and wiring off the pass side shock tower

Why are the inside of the quarter panels painted black

I have never seen any black glue coming out of the tail lights

E as for

The "low milage" 73 "Q" code convertible that is for sale

I don't buy the exhaust out the back

What's with the box and wiring off the pass side shock tower

Why are the inside of the quarter panels painted black

I have never seen any black glue coming out of the tail lights
Don,you have some very good points! I should have spotted those! I did notice the box mounted on the shock tower and ASSumed it was some kind of relay for the convertable top. Good catch!!

My '73 Q code has a blue air cleaner lid. I did repaint it and replaced the sticker (which was the wrong shape but I made it work), but it looks the same now as the original did. I also have turned down exhaust. By the way, the sticker on the fan shroud over the "Caution Fan" sticker are tune up specs in Japanese and English. The car spent time in Japan and I thought it was so cool, I had to leave it in place.

2011_07300001.jpg

Back