1973 Mach 1 paint detail question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed, fully optioned
I have had my 73 Mach1 since January of 1978. It has the Blue Glow color with Argent stripes. It has the front side marker light bezels and paint immediately around it also pained Argent. I have seen many photos of 73 Mach 1s, some with this detail as mine is and most without black or argent paint (based on the stripe color). The 1973 Mustang Body Assembly manual shows the paint detail in the 1rst photo below. The Ford and Mustang sales literature shows it both with and without this detail, see 2nd photo. Also a picture of mine, 3rd photo. Do any of you members know if all 73 Mach 1 had this detail when they left the factory? Or was it only on "early" 73s (mine was born on Nov. 17, 1972) and dropped on later production to save money? Or perhaps only applied at the Dearborn assembly plant (mine came from Dearborn)?
IMG_1689[1].JPGIMG_1695[1].JPGIMG_1693[1].JPG

David's car was built in May '73, so it's a pretty sure bet that it was carried throughout the year. I've learned to never say never with Ford, but most "oddities" can be attributed to goof ups at repair shops or by owners themselves.

1671040905218.png

My 73 in high school was mostly original paint and the whole front end was original paint. It had the marker lamp bezel and surrounding area of the fender painted black to blend with the stripe.

73 Mach 1 3.jpg

David's car is brown. The photo above appears to be from a blue car (given what appears to be a blue door jamb). The 5H code being for brown. Mystery.

David's car was built in May '73, so it's a pretty sure bet that it was carried throughout the year. I've learned to never say never with Ford, but most "oddities" can be attributed to goof ups at repair shops or by owners themselves.

View attachment 70767
My 73 was a June build and it also has the bezel painted to match the stripe.

David's car is brown. The photo above appears to be from a blue car (given what appears to be a blue door jamb). The 5H code being for brown. Mystery.

That sticker is a crop from his Deluxe Marti report showboard.

5H is Medium Brown Metallic

The examples I have seen thus far on this forum with the painted to match the stripes front marker light area also have the Tu Tone hood. Makes me wonder if it was only done in conjunction with the Tu Tone hood as the body paint department had to paint the argent or black on the hood anyway and they needed the same paint for the front marker light areas. Only having to mask and paint the front marker light areas might have been to much work for to little benefit for non-Tu Tone hood cars.

I have had my 73 Mach1 since January of 1978. It has the Blue Glow color with Argent stripes. It has the front side marker light bezels and paint immediately around it also pained Argent. I have seen many photos of 73 Mach 1s, some with this detail as mine is and most without black or argent paint (based on the stripe color). The 1973 Mustang Body Assembly manual shows the paint detail in the 1rst photo below. The Ford and Mustang sales literature shows it both with and without this detail, see 2nd photo. Also a picture of mine, 3rd photo. Do any of you members know if all 73 Mach 1 had this detail when they left the factory? Or was it only on "early" 73s (mine was born on Nov. 17, 1972) and dropped on later production to save money? Or perhaps only applied at the Dearborn assembly plant (mine came from Dearborn)?
View attachment 70764View attachment 70765View attachment 70766
I am the original owner of a 73 Mach 1 and I have a photo of the car that was taken in 1973 but it is not very good quality. From what I can tell, it looks like the bezel may have been painted to match the decal

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Taken September 1973.jpg
    Taken September 1973.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 0
Back