A new set of rims&tyres

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach 1
460" C6 9"
Hello fellow 71-73'ers! I'm in the process of getting my highschool sweetheart back out on the streets again. In doing so I want some really good looking set of wheels on her. I have been looking at American Racing tourqe thrust and pretty much decided on them, but I need some help with sizes and dimensions on them, offset and so forth. 17" or 18" rims and possibly 275 or bigger. What will fit me? I couldn't get any good answers here in Sweden since our cars are not that common here. Any help and suggestions would be highly appreciated! :D

I have the Ford Racing Bullitt rims which are pretty similar to the Torque Thrusts. I have 17" all around, but with the bigger rear wheel wells I think it looks better with 17" on the front and 18" on the back; of course, that makes rotating wheels difficult :D. Luxstang put a post on here about offsets and such, I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels?highlight=wheels

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sort of in the same situation. I have a '73 Mach-1 that Needs new wheels/tires. For the front, it seems like 245's are the widest or at least the most practical. Depending on your backspace, I think you can go as wide as a 315 in the rear. Personally, I'm planning on 17x8 wheels with a 4.5" bs and 245/45-17 on the front and 17x9.5 wheel on the back with a 5.5" bs with 275/40-17 on the rear. It's a nice look and I have found the widest variety of tires for those sizes.

Sweet looking set!

I'm sort of in the same situation. I have a '73 Mach-1 that Needs new wheels/tires. For the front, it seems like 245's are the widest or at least the most practical. Depending on your backspace, I think you can go as wide as a 315 in the rear. Personally, I'm planning on 17x8 wheels with a 4.5" bs and 245/45-17 on the front and 17x9.5 wheel on the back with a 5.5" bs with 275/40-17 on the rear. It's a nice look and I have found the widest variety of tires for those sizes.
Sounds as a nice setup! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow 71-73'ers! I'm in the process of getting my highschool sweetheart back out on the streets again. In doing so I want some really good looking set of wheels on her. I have been looking at American Racing tourqe thrust and pretty much decided on them, but I need some help with sizes and dimensions on them, offset and so forth. 17" or 18" rims and possibly 275 or bigger. What will fit me? I couldn't get any good answers here in Sweden since our cars are not that common here. Any help and suggestions would be highly appreciated! :D
I just got the AR105Ms which is the torque thrust. I'm putting 20's all the way around. 20x10 rear and 20x8 front. It depends on which rear end you have, you may get some rubbing on the rear passenger side but nothing that can't be handled with a spacer or a little grinding on the seam of the fender well. Here's a pic.

Screen shot 2012-08-12 at 4.59.40 PM.png

I just got the AR105Ms which is the torque thrust. I'm putting 20's all the way around. 20x10 rear and 20x8 front. It depends on which rear end you have, you may get some rubbing on the rear passenger side but nothing that can't be handled with a spacer or a little grinding on the seam of the fender well. Here's a pic.
Looks sweet! Your ride looks kinda high? Mine sits a lot lower, but maybe you've got it hoisted? I have Cragar SST's 14" in front with BF Goodridge 245/45-14 & 265/60-14's in the rear and it fills up nicely. However I want to make it more "modern" with a racing look so 18" rears and 17" front seems to be my choice. It's a shame that everything costs so much here in Sweden compared to the states. I usually fill my shopping cart at Summit.com and by the time I'm going to checkout everything looks good... until shipping AND taxes goes crazy and my bank account says NONONO! :blush: In the end it's about 45% higher than the original price in the US. That kinda sucks but I have time to wait and buy stuff when I can afford it. The summer is almost over here in Sweden so I have decided to wait until spring to get a new set of rims and concentrate on the paintjob and interior/stereo this winter. Thank you all for your help with tires and rims! This is a great place to be!

I have the Ford Racing Bullitt rims which are pretty similar to the Torque Thrusts. I have 17" all around, but with the bigger rear wheel wells I think it looks better with 17" on the front and 18" on the back; of course, that makes rotating wheels difficult :D. Luxstang put a post on here about offsets and such, I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels?highlight=wheels
Do you have pics? What wheel spacers are you using? I have a set of Ford bullitts I took off my 07 just sitting in the garage.

Latest posts

Back