Able to change from N to D?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 460 engine, C6 automatic gearbox.
Hi guys!

I have a C6 automatic. Yesterday I was doing some interior work and by accident noticed that I can change gear from N to D without engaging the button on the gearstick handle.

I guess this is not good. Any idea what I can do? Perhaps some loose mechanical part or can it be the shifter lever bushing worn out?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/shifter-lever-rebuild-kit-automatic-1965-1970/p/HW614/

Best regards

Thomas

I don't know if you have a console or not but I'd start by removing the handle then the bezel then put the handle back on and watch when you push the button and see what it's doing. There's a number if things that could be wrong and none of them are a real big deal. I'd start there to diagnose the problem.

yup normal operation.

many times this gets you in trouble, you work inside the car and move the shifter while the car is turned off and forget that it is in gear other then park or neutral.

then when you go to start the car the neutral safety switch stops you from starting the car in gear, but you think something else is wrong because you do not expect the car it be in any other gear but park.

happened to me, i spend hours trying to figure out why my car wouldn't start, when i forgot that i moved the shifter to fix a radio problem.

i have also forced starting a car that was suppose to be in park but the linkage was damaged and the car was actually in drive. i knew what happened the second the car jumped forward in the garage when i bypassed the safety and felt like a total moron.

This happened to my wife in her 66 fastback and she panicked and called my Dad (I was at work) who calmly put the car in park and started it. Lol
I can top that, my younger son called me and said he couldn't open the car door, I asked him if had tried both sides and he said he did. So I drove to his location, tried the key pod nothing, key pod battery was dead, so I stuck the key in the door lock and opened the door. My soon was astounded that the key not only started the car but could be used to unlock the door. He grew up in the age of key pods.

Jim

Back