F-i-n-a-l-l-y I’m going to be an owner, not just lurker

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you found one like you wanted and welcome to the forum.

Got to work on your descriptions of the options, lol. There was no Mach 1 package. You could get the Décor Group and that would allow you to get the side stripes and gave you the Mach 1 grill.

Also there were no CJ or Cobra Jets built in 73. Ford dropped that designation in 72. Your air cleaner decal should say 351 4-V if it is a Q code.

You can order a simple Marti report for $18.00 that will show how your car was built at the factory.

The blacked out hood and locks were an option on all models as were the gauge package.

The leather wrapped steering wheel is one of the more rare options. Marti does not even list it in his book but was an option.

Post up a pic of the engine and your door sticker if you have one. I think I looked at this car on ebay back of now.
Yeah... sorry about that. It was half delirium from “what have I done?!”/half long-ago memories dredged up when I posted.

I certainly should have said Decor Group (d’oh! I knew that) “that gives Mach 1 styling”. 

Of course... a car 46 years old has a high chance of many mods over the years, but I did order the Marti Report so at least I know “as built”. “As exists” will require much closer examination. Ex:  Barely seen in interior photos, the cloth inserts were typically only available in closed top cars.

And thanks — I hadn’t even considered the trashed wheel as possibly the leather wrapped rarity!
On the leather wheel. I have seen new covers on ebay in the past you would obviously have to stitch it on your wheel. I think they call the stitch used a baseball stitch. You can do with a curved needle might need a pair of needle nose to pull the thread through. Or take to upholstery shop for them to install. I think the new leather comes with the stitching holes punched in the material. You are much better off to keep the leather wheel than to change to something else. I think it was actually pulled from the Pinto line and put on the Mustang for the one year. Here is a picture of mine on my 73 Mach 1. It is all cleaned up now and in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum.

Can't get picture to load will try as a file.

100_2228.JPG

I noticed you are missing the collar on the steering column. I think they are pretty difficult to find. There is one for sale locally here. I do not know the guy or condition but if I can be of any assistance let me know. Here is a link to his craigslist ad.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/pts/d/mount-vernon-ford-mustang-mach-boss/6912573803.html
Thanks!  Once I get the car home, I'm quite sure the list of needs will grow beyond what we can see in the photos.  And now you've got me reconsidering that steering wheel.  Question:  was black the only color?  My interior is black so it would look fine, just wondering.

The car was "found" with no tags after having sat for who knows how long, so obviously the registration has expired.

My question is:  with just the VIN, can the DMV do a tag history search?  

I realize if that's true AND the car was always registered in just on state it will be easier -- if they can do this at all.

Yes, they can, but all they will tell you is if the car was stolen. They just search their own database, and not of other states, but they will know if the title was transferred from another state, and which state. Due to privacy laws they generally won't tell you who previous owners were.

Yes, they can, but all they will tell you is if the car was stolen. They just search their own database, and not of other states, but they will know if the title was transferred from another state, and which state. Due to privacy laws they generally won't tell you who previous owners were.
Thanks.  I figured as much, they technically are able but can't for privacy reasons.  I'm going to suppose when the seller sends in the DMV new registration, the DMV will catch if it was stolen somewhere along the way.

Could be interesting or just "meh".

Yes, they check new titles and registration for being stolen. If the previous title was in another state you may need a VIN inspection before they issue a registration and title. Some police departments will do a courtesy VIN run through NCIC to check for issues.

Nice find! Nicely optioned vert I am sure was worth the wait and time it took to find it. Hope the title search comes up clean.

Alright! Got my Marti Report. Very, very interesting. Do people even post those here?

But now I have my marching orders: "get thee to the storage unit and dig out those old car sales brochures!" Anyone remember Walter Miller? Way back when (ahem) he had an extensive collection and whenever I had some spare $ I'd get the ones for cars I adored. 69-73 Mustang: I have all of them. A few even are dups, a few are early/late year differences.

I'm going to need to go back and see just what's included in "Convenience Group", "Decor Group" and "Competition Suspension". And yup, that messy looking steering wheel was indeed the factory ordered "Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel". In other good news: it's still wearing it's original color (6E, Medium Bright Yellow). Small surprise, the rear-end is 3.25 rather than 3.5 as stated by the seller. Not going to worry that one.

And I shall never, ever refer to "Body Side Tape Stripes, NASA Hood (Non-functional) and TuTone Hood Paint" as "...the Mach 1 Decor option" (lol)

Born in the midwest and found a life in California beginning in Long Beach, it's very possible this car has never left California.

Welcome

What rims do you have? They remind me the ones I had on my first Mustang, was a 73 Grandé.

I was catching up on your post and saw where you ask if wheel was only in black. Yes the leather wheel was only black for the rim but the center would match the interior color. Black, ginger, green or blue I think are all the colors. If you had white interior it got black steering wheel.

So I have not seen your matri posted yet did you do it and I missed it?

Welcome

What rims do you have? They remind me the ones I had on my first Mustang, was a 73 Grandé.
They're certainly not factory, but I’ll get up close and see if there are manufacturer’s marks.

Back