AC Compressor Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstrong

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351C - 2V - Sportsroof
I am new to the board and new owner of a 73 Sportsroof. I apologize if this information is on the board, but, can't find anything. I need to remove my AC compressor and it seems I have to take half the car apart to get it out. Does anyone have any advice or instructions? Is it as hard as it looks?

Do yourself a big favor and buy a set of factory shop manuals for 73 mustang. best 30 bucks you will ever spend.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a set of factory shop manuals for 73 mustang. best 30 bucks you will ever spend.
Where is the best place to buy those?
National Parts Depot , Mustangs Unlimited, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the best place to buy those?
National Parts Depot , Mustangs Unlimited, etc.
Great, I'll take a look!

removing the compressor isn't hard, the problem might be if your system is full of freon or not.

on the original compressor fittings there are 2 main valves you can close that pinch off the compressor from the rest of the ac system

thats cool because when you swap the compressor you only loose about 1/2 of the freon in the system and prevent moisture from getting onto the system directly

when the fittings swapped to 134 they didn't have the isolators anymore so you open a valve or fitting and everything blows out.

now assuming you took take of the freon in the system you just pop the 2 hoses off the compressor, then depending on the bracket there can be 4 or 6 bolts. but first open the tensionor on A/C belt and loosen the belt, then you have a fun nuckle hitting time getting the bolts out of the A/C bracket. wiggle it from time to time so you can make sure you got the bolts out, the compressor is kind of heavy but less then 50 pounds. remember to pop the single wire connector going to the magnetic clutch.

and out she comes...

now when it comes time to reinstall the compressor or replace it you have to do 2 things.

1) drain the oil from the compressor completely because when you go for service the mineral oils used might not be compatible with the service machine used, when the service guys go to refill the system if you have the Same york compressor tell them to use 9 ounces, the system holds 10 but there might be some left in the condenser and evaporator, new compressors use much less and this can throw a A/C tech off, again this is if you are keeping the york compressor.

2) replace the dryer next to the condenser in front of the rad.

any time you open up the system you have to replace the dryer, however to do it right you need a vaccum pump and a A/C manifold service kit.... so if you doing this yourself you swap the dryer and vacuum the system and leak check.

if you having it serviced, install the compressor and buy a dryer and leave it in the car when you go for service you tell them they must replace the dryer.

the dryer has a desiccant filter in it, it traps all water in the system and debre but has a max amount of water it can take in before it becomes saturated,,, once the water is in it never comes out.

so usually a compressor goes and junk gets into the system the dryer grabs it and clogs up, then from initial install the dryer get water contamination so you do not want to reuse a dryer ever because the extra moisture in the system will remain in the system because the dryer is full. so any time you service the A/C and lose vacuum inside the system, replace the dryer.

removing the compressor isn't hard, the problem might be if your system is full of freon or not.

on the original compressor fittings there are 2 main valves you can close that pinch off the compressor from the rest of the ac system

thats cool because when you swap the compressor you only loose about 1/2 of the freon in the system and prevent moisture from getting onto the system directly

when the fittings swapped to 134 they didn't have the isolators anymore so you open a valve or fitting and everything blows out.

now assuming you took take of the freon in the system you just pop the 2 hoses off the compressor, then depending on the bracket there can be 4 or 6 bolts. but first open the tensionor on A/C belt and loosen the belt, then you have a fun nuckle hitting time getting the bolts out of the A/C bracket. wiggle it from time to time so you can make sure you got the bolts out, the compressor is kind of heavy but less then 50 pounds. remember to pop the single wire connector going to the magnetic clutch.

and out she comes...

now when it comes time to reinstall the compressor or replace it you have to do 2 things.

1) drain the oil from the compressor completely because when you go for service the mineral oils used might not be compatible with the service machine used, when the service guys go to refill the system if you have the Same york compressor tell them to use 9 ounces, the system holds 10 but there might be some left in the condenser and evaporator, new compressors use much less and this can throw a A/C tech off, again this is if you are keeping the york compressor.

2) replace the dryer next to the condenser in front of the rad.

any time you open up the system you have to replace the dryer, however to do it right you need a vaccum pump and a A/C manifold service kit.... so if you doing this yourself you swap the dryer and vacuum the system and leak check.

if you having it serviced, install the compressor and buy a dryer and leave it in the car when you go for service you tell them they must replace the dryer.

the dryer has a desiccant filter in it, it traps all water in the system and debre but has a max amount of water it can take in before it becomes saturated,,, once the water is in it never comes out.

so usually a compressor goes and junk gets into the system the dryer grabs it and clogs up, then from initial install the dryer get water contamination so you do not want to reuse a dryer ever because the extra moisture in the system will remain in the system because the dryer is full. so any time you service the A/C and lose vacuum inside the system, replace the dryer.
It is totally dry, the fittings were already loose when I got the car. I plan on taking out the entire system and putting one of the vintage air/aftermarket type complete systems in. At this point I just want the stuff out of the way, as the AC/Heat is the last priority. I appreciate the response and this definitely helps!

There are 4 bolts under the compressor that holds to the head bracket. I believe the bolts are 9/16 or 5/8.
Awesome, thanks for the photo. It definitely helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
if the fittings were loose and the system full of air then the dryer is garbage at this point, it will take moisture out of the air when exposed.

so make sure when you replace the compressor to replace the dryer if you are taping back into the OEM evaporator and condenser cores.

if the fittings were loose and the system full of air then the dryer is garbage at this point, it will take moisture out of the air when exposed.

so make sure when you replace the compressor to replace the dryer if you are taping back into the OEM evaporator and condenser cores.
Will do, it appears the kit I am looking at has the entire system included, so I should be good to go when I am ready. Car sat for many years, but, is all original. Just getting it back to running condition, and time to start replacing parts....

Back