AC this is a first for me. Not for the faint hearted!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirconmach1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 4 barrel, ram air, 4 speed, factory a/c, 77 k original miles in bright red with black.

Drive it like you stole it!
Hello everyone, so I pulled my ac/ heater box out today. My car is a 1971 Mach 1, M code, 4 speed, with ram air and factory AC. The job wasn’t so bad to remove since in a previous life I worked in a radiator shop. That was many decades ago. I did notice prior to removal, the heater core was bypassed and the AC was non functional. While prepping the job I noticed that the ac/ heater box was cracked and looked like it was out already. You’ve got to see the pictures of the inside of this box. I’ve never seen this before. I’m working on everything in the interior now and after pulling out the console there must of been a mouse in this car at one time. Back to the ac box. The mouse also had a home in the ac box. I’m actually glad the box was cracked so now I don’t have to clean it up. My question is, who makes the best bang for the buck box. I already had purchased the new heater core and evaporator prior to starting. Has anyone had any problems or issues with these new boxes. Thanks for any help or feedback you can provide.

Attachments

• 0AA5277E-6557-4F86-A096-762FF6F8E9AC.jpeg
    0AA5277E-6557-4F86-A096-762FF6F8E9AC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 48F56F3F-58F9-4834-9BEC-A0AD7DD1847A.jpeg
    48F56F3F-58F9-4834-9BEC-A0AD7DD1847A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Exact same thing happened to me. My car sat for about 15 years outside with a car cover on it. When I opened the box it was full of old mice ruin. There is no screen on the air inlet from the top of the firewall, something I shall remedy before I put it back together.
You might want to reach your arm up into the firewall from the air inlet and just ensure everything is clean up there before you turn on your AC. Wear gloves because those little shits had another nest at the top on my car.

Hello everyone, so I pulled my ac/ heater box out today. My car is a 1971 Mach 1, M code, 4 speed, with ram air and factory AC. The job wasn’t so bad to remove since in a previous life I worked in a radiator shop. That was many decades ago. I did notice prior to removal, the heater core was bypassed and the AC was non functional. While prepping the job I noticed that the ac/ heater box was cracked and looked like it was out already. You’ve got to see the pictures of the inside of this box. I’ve never seen this before. I’m working on everything in the interior now and after pulling out the console there must of been a mouse in this car at one time. Back to the ac box. The mouse also had a home in the ac box. I’m actually glad the box was cracked so now I don’t have to clean it up. My question is, who makes the best bang for the buck box. I already had purchased the new heater core and evaporator prior to starting. Has anyone had any problems or issues with these new boxes. Thanks for any help or feedback you can provide.
Classic Auto Air makes a replacement plenum box. You’ll have to transfer the vacuum motors and brackets etc but it’s new and stout. They used to make a full replacement with evaporator and heater core and all the vacuum motors etc but for some reason, no longer. I managed to get one in 2019 for my 72.

thank you for your response. I purchased the box. I had already purchased the heater core and evaporator prior to do the job. Nice car by the way.

I've read good reviews on this one: https://www.topflightautomotive.com...stang-heater-box-assembly-w-air-conditioning/

NPD is always a good and dependable source. https://www.npdlink.com/product/heater-box-assy/184513?backurl=search/products?search_terms=heater%2Bbox%2B&top_parent=200001&year=1972&year=1972

Looking at photos in most of the online parts catalogs, they may all be from the same source.
They probably are from the same source. Thanks for your info.

Exact same thing happened to me. My car sat for about 15 years outside with a car cover on it. When I opened the box it was full of old mice ruin. There is no screen on the air inlet from the top of the firewall, something I shall remedy before I put it back together.
You might want to reach your arm up into the firewall from the air inlet and just ensure everything is clean up there before you turn on your AC. Wear gloves because those little shits had another nest at the top on my car.
CAA you block off the vent. It is recirculating all the time.

Thus worked out well for me as my cowl was rusted and I was able to cut out the rust and seal it up.

I've read good reviews on this one: https://www.topflightautomotive.com...stang-heater-box-assembly-w-air-conditioning/

NPD is always a good and dependable source. https://www.npdlink.com/product/heater-box-assy/184513?backurl=search/products?search_terms=heater%2Bbox%2B&top_parent=200001&year=1972&year=1972

Looking at photos in most of the online parts catalogs, they may all be from the same source.
I believe they are all made by ACP I just did mine and it’s not too bad to do. Just be patient.

Last edited:
When you order a new box make sure you order the seal that goes around the AC tubes it’s not included anymore. Also order a new firewall seal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Latest posts

Back