Add Fill Plug To Rear End Housing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
Have any of you added a fill plug to a ford 9 inch rear axle housing? I have a differential I want to install, but it has no fill plug. Wondering if the portion of the housing opposite of where the differential bolts up is thick enough (sufficient thread engagement) for a gasketed plug.

To my knowledge, the fill plug is in the drop-out center section. Now, adding a drain plug might be handy. Some early rear end housings had drain plugs, I worked on a '67 Shelby that had a drain plug in the housing .

Some of the fabricated housings sold by Strange, Moser and the like have a drain plug on the rear cover. Obviously, the fabricated ones have been reinforced but I don't think the rear cover is much of a structural component in the OEM versions. If that's the case, then it would be a good place where to weld a filler plug. I have thought about it. I will definitely make the filling process much easier.

1716873160119.png

To my knowledge, the fill plug is in the drop-out center section. Now, adding a drain plug might be handy. Some early rear end housings had drain plugs, I worked on a '67 Shelby that had a drain plug in the housing .
I welded a bung for a 1/2" threaded plug on my axle housing. I welded a ring cut from a piece of pipe around the bung so placing a jack under the housing lifts on the ring rather than the drain plug. I've seen others simply drill and run a self-tapping oil drain plug, though I thought the metal was too thin to be a reliable solution.

I considered add a fill hole, as well, but mine diff case has the fill on it. For as seldom I change the gear oil, I figured the stock fill port was sufficient.

My plan is to drill a clearance hole in this flat area on the rear panel of the axle housing. I believe this is where Ford punched, then tapped a hole for the earlier models that required a fill plug in the axle. In other words, I don't think it's a coincidence that this flat spot is is positioned to allow a fill level just below the axle tubes. I'll be tacking a high strength 1/2-20 nut to the inside of the axle housing. I did a rough check of the flatness using a washer the same OD as the plug I bought....looks like it will seal.

1717014618312.png

Latest posts

Back