Air Cleaner Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great that really makes the engine pop.

Just a couple thoughts since your are detailing your engine and under hood. I saw that you just sanded the air cleaner. I have found that if you use the common "Aircraft Stripper" that you brush it on let is set a few minutes and rinse with water it is much faster. Also Ford did not prime any of the parts under the hood, shock tower braces, air cleaner etc, just the final color was applied and when you strip you will see rust spots everywhere under the paint.

after the stripper I glass bead to remove the surface rust then wipe down to remove oils and spray with a self etching primer and then the final color all can be done with rattle cans if you do not have spay equipment.

Ford did not paint the hood hinges, hood latch mech., shock mounts on the shock tower, air conditioner brackets and some others. They used a Manganese phosphate also called Parkerizing. So to do those you can order the chemicals one quart is $34.00 plus shipping and you mix with distilled water and heat to 200 deg. F. You glass bead the parts and remove any oil, grease and rust and then simply put the parts in the warm solution and little bubbles start and you rotate the parts a few times to even to coating. When bubbles stop your done. You coat several times with WD-40 and they look just like factory. I am going to experiment with doing a wax coat to see if it last longer and resists rust better. This works much better than paint especially on parts like the hinge and latch that have moving parts that rub the paint off. I attached a scan of the instructions and you can google and find a local supplier to you.

Keep us posted as you do your detailing. I am going to do a thread that covers lots of detailing later not enough time now.

David

IMG.pdf

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    986.2 KB · Views: 2
Thank's David & yes I did find some rust under the paint. The Aircraft Stripper sounds like the way to go especially if you can use water to rinse off. I just sanded my steel valve covers today too! Oh well.

I've kinda been going by what the 429 Mega web site says as well as pics of c9zx, Chuck's car looks like too. Next on my list are the shock tower braces, slop grey for those. Need to get rid of that all black for everything under hood. Little bit at a time.

I will for sure appreciate any tips and advice you have also David. I know you have a vast knowledge of these awesome cars. Thank's again for the complement & info! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back