Air cleaners assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible, 351-4v
4 speed, bright red, original owner
MCA National show winner
image(117).jpegimage(116).jpegimage(115).jpegimage(114).jpegimage(113).jpegimage(112).jpegimage(71).jpegimage(72).jpegimage(72).jpegimage(75).jpegimage(76).jpegThere has been some discussion on 72/73 air cleaners for Q codes (351 4V). I have some pictures that might help show the differences. 73 had the blue painted top 72 had chrome. 73 had the air duct tube attached to end of snorkel, 72 had a flared end snorkel. 73 did not have the side vent as seen in the pictures below. If someone is interested in the 72 air cleaner send me a private message it is the one pictured below make me an offer. Be careful with the ones on e bay some of the ones I have seen are not the correct ones.

Hope this helps.....

ah excellent i thought the 72 also had an air duct tube attached i have the flair on mine. that is good to know that i did get the correct one some years ago.

There has been some discussion on 72/73 air cleaners for Q codes (351 4V). I have some pictures that might help show the differences. 73 had the blue painted top 72 had chrome. 73 had the air duct tube attached to end of snorkel, 72 had a flared end snorkel. 73 did not have the side vent as seen in the pictures below. If someone is interested in the 72 air cleaner send me a private message it is the one pictured below make me an offer. Be careful with the ones on e bay some of the ones I have seen are not the correct ones.

Hope this helps.....
This could not be more timely as I have been looking for a good explanation regarding the air cleaners. My 1973 Q code came with what I assume is a reproduction cleaner which has a chrome top. I thought that was at least correct. So, what you are indicating is that mine should have a blue top, non flared snorkel and no "vent" on the opposite side of the snorkel on the air cleaner? I haven't seen one of those come up on ebay. I have seen ones with the vent and plenty with a chrome top.

Thank you for the information.

I believe the Chrome air cleaner top with the side valve is for the Cobra jet 351 Cleveland engines without Ram Air. The 1973 closed snorkel was part of the emissions package to direct cold air in instead of the hot engine compartment air.

b4hybp.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company -Copyright: May 1975

mustang7173

The 1972 Q Code CJ & R Code HO were the only ones to get the chrome lid. They also have a unique base assembly with an air actuator on the drivers side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Larry. Your car is (and has been acknowledged for years from National MCA awards) a guide to anyone who wants to know and see original set up from the factory.

Great air cleaner info here. This is also a great thread to post pics of your correctly restored or original air cleaners. Please identify motor and year they are for - even if obvious to most.

Found this info online:

Some duplication of info but I found it covered 71-73 breather assemblies well. Notice the first pic from Ford Parts Catalog is for the 1971 Boss 302.

And then another similar pic farther into the article lists the 1972 "Cobra Jet" breather identification. I believe that identification changed to "351-4V" for Q codes built after Jan 1972. Any help in verifying this would be appreciated!!! THX

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2016/10/tech-series-ford-mustang-air-cleaner-id.html

Thx Ray

I still have that air cleaner on my 72 Q Code, thanks to Larry. He sold it to me before his untimely passing. RIP Larry!

These pictures are after I cleaned up the base and painted it. The chrome lid is original and the sticker is also original. I also put on the Autolite sticker on the base which is wrong for 72. I believe it was only used in 71, but I think it looks good anyway.

The reason I didn’t redo the lid was it’s original and still in pretty good condition and No one makes the correct radius sticker to fit.

And as far as I can tell, like Boss Ray stated cars built before January 72 got the 351 CJ sticker and the ones after January got the 4V designation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys and gals. If anyone sees this and does have the correct 1972 Q code CJ air cleaner I need one. I have the 72 CJ vert I am working on and no air cleaner. When you order a Marti he will state in the report if your car is a CJ or 4-V and mine does say CJ.

Here is picture of my original 73 air cleaner.

I do have the ram air for the 72 but also wanted the regular CJ also.

Thanks,

David

I have some data that "indicates" 71-73 351Cs (2 or 4V) bound for California had the straight snorkel and cold air plumbing to the core support. I can not verify this as being absolute fact. Chuck

Here is what I believe to be the original air cleaner on my '72 351-CJ. It was a California car so it also did have the duct to bring in the cold air for added emissions. Even though the Marti report shows 351-CJ the air cleaner decal does say 351-4V so not sure if this is a replacement decal someone put on later or actually the original.

Back