Air Compressor, Tools, etc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks just about the same as mine. They are very good compressors. You cant go wrong with an Ingersoll. Offer him $500 and see if he bites. If not I wouldn't go to $700. You can pick the same compressor up new for $1100. And when they are on sale for $950-1000 from tractor Supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks just about the same as mine. They are very good compressors. You cant go wrong with an Ingersoll. Offer him $500 and see if he bites. If not I wouldn't go to $700. You can pick the same compressor up new for $1100. And when they are on sale for $950-1000 from tractor Supply.
Sounds good...I think I might do that.  I'll offer $500 and see what happens.  I'm a bit concerned about spending $500 on something that will have no warranty.  The only reason I'm considering it is due to the popularity and quality of the Ingersoll Rand brand...or so I hope.  :)

It appears the compressor topic has given quite a bit to review.

To start: Other essential tools (and it will be assumed good quality SAE socket and wrench sets are already on hand): the best torque wrench you can afford (it will last for decades properly cared for and calibrated every now and then), a sand blast cabinet (http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html) similar to this will handle most small and medium sized pieces, but you will need to spend a few hours to take it apart and caulk all the seams and joints before you start to actually use it. I also added a halogen flood lamp for about $15. Good quality electrical strip and crimp tool. Pry bars.

I think this is the best "bang for the buck" compressor I've found. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/18283942341269191843?lsf=seller:8049,store:7465223291414696962&prds=oid:696138361647329750&q=qtv+54+compressor&hl=en&ei=2JfSWIHtM4qe0gKVp7iABQ&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblTzpmz2SQAeH2MpUAoXldcgPmGW57LzTlwShTNtJkx7hoC_Ubw_wcB

It's been in service for 3-4 years and has done everything I've asked of it, air tools, DA, paint gun, etc..

Chuck
I'd say this is also one of the best I have researched.  Still waiting to actually purchase... But this is the one I will most likely buy.

Unless you are in Illinois - no taxes or shipping.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-2V41C60VC-Air-Compressor/p855.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw5M3GBRCTvpK4osqj4X4SJAABRJNCVCj3ZWzmvOSvUAhHVe1KFYXr2uXs2iA3h25L0vPABoCf4bw_wcB&akamaifeo=off

Ray

A decent size toolbox. I had tools scattered around in 2 small rollers, on shelves, and 3 or 4 carry-around boxes and finally got one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-40-in-W-10-Drawer-Chest-and-Cabinet-Set-H40CH4TR6/207105935

For the money it's a nice set, not professional quality, but plenty good for a cost-conscious person (tight-wad) like me.

I couldn't believe how fast I filled it up. At least now I'm just using it and the two small rollers.

Try to get good quality tools, I have a lot of Proto and Craftsman tools I've had many years and they're still in great shape. I do admit to having bought some ratcheting end wrench sets from Harbor Freight and they look and feel good, and work well, but I don't have years of use on them, so time will tell, although I'll probably wear out before they do.

Finally, I wished I had some words of wisdom on how to collect all of this stuff without catching flak from your "significant other", but I don't. Most things aren't that obvious, but I'm still hearing about the large roller tool cabinet, it really stands out sitting in the workshop. :-/

Finally, I wished I had some words of wisdom on how to collect all of this stuff without catching flak from your "significant other", but I don't. Most things aren't that obvious, but I'm still hearing about the large roller tool cabinet, it really stands out sitting in the workshop. :-/
lie!

A decent size toolbox. I had tools scattered around in 2 small rollers, on shelves, and 3 or 4 carry-around boxes and finally got one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-40-in-W-10-Drawer-Chest-and-Cabinet-Set-H40CH4TR6/207105935

For the money it's a nice set, not professional quality, but plenty good for a cost-conscious person (tight-wad) like me.

I couldn't believe how fast I filled it up. At least now I'm just using it and the two small rollers.

Try to get good quality tools, I have a lot of Proto and Craftsman tools I've had many years and they're still in great shape. I do admit to having bought some ratcheting end wrench sets from Harbor Freight and they look and feel good, and work well, but I don't have years of use on them, so time will tell, although I'll probably wear out before they do.

You could be collecting significant others...

lie!
I didn't think it would work if I tried the "What do you mean? I've had that for years" line. :chin:

I buy a lot of stuff through Amazon. The day the package is arriving i come home for a late lunch to pick the package up and goes directly to the garage like nothing happened.

[emoji12]

1971 M-code Mach 1

I buy a lot of stuff through Amazon. The day the package is arriving i come home for a late lunch to pick the package up and goes directly to the garage like nothing happened.

[emoji12]

1971 M-code Mach 1
Ha. I do the same thing. I even have accounts with UPS and FedEx so I get emails letting me know when stuff is coming and when it was delivered.

He would not take $500 so I'll have to keep looking.  I even said I'd be willing to pay more if he'd be able to deliver it to me.  I would have paid $600...  Oh well...like you said don't go to $700 especially since it's 10 years old and I could get a new compressor for around $1000.

Back when I was married I collected guns. Whenever I brought one home, I would invite my wife to meet me at a local restaurant for dinner. I would wait down the street until I saw her drive off, pull in and put the new acquisition in the safe, then head out and meet for dinner.

He would not take $500 so I'll have to keep looking.  I even said I'd be willing to pay more if he'd be able to deliver it to me.  I would have paid $600...  Oh well...like you said don't go to $700 especially since it's 10 years old and I could get a new compressor for around $1000.
Smart choice, especially when you live in a soggy atmosphere like Florida has. You don't know if he drained the tank after every use. Rust works even faster when the oxygen supply is concentrated by the pressure in the tank.

Back when I was married I collected guns.  Whenever I brought one home, I would invite my wife to meet me at a local restaurant for dinner.  I would wait down the street until I saw her drive off, pull in and put the new acquisition in the safe, then head out and meet for dinner.
lollerz  That's awesome!

I'm not familiar with that brand. Were it me I would get something comparable from Lowe's or Home Depot, like this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Campbell-Hausfeld-5-HP-80-Gallon-Two-Stage-Electric-Air-Compressor/1000167487

If you have any problems with it you just take it back to the store, no worries about shipping, etc.

And, if you get the military or Veteran's discount...
Do you  think this particular model is any good? I just had to replace my water heater after it puked all over itself and my garage so right now this particular one is appealing due to the price after spending $1000 to replace the water heater.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate-80-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-PLA4708065/202657515

That should be enough air compressor for just about any DIYer. I've managed to get by with smaller compressors most of my life. I'm not familiar with the brand, but it seems to be well rated and I've never had any warranty/return issues with Home Depot.

Back